1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dark fruit

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Detlef, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Detlef New Member

Germany
    I'd like to know what is meant by "dark fruit". I didn't find it in any dictionary. Is it a general term for any fruit that is "dark" (in what sense - dark red, dark blue ...)?

Detlef

2. mnzrob Senior Member

Denver, Colorado USA
    Chicago English and German
    What type of context did you see this in? I have never heard anyone say "dark fruit", unless maybe they were talking about the color, as you said. Context would help.

Rob

3. Detlef New Member

Germany
    Hi Rob,

"Dark fruit" was used in the following context:

The smokiness of the beer is apparent in the aroma, along with dark fruit and caramel.

In the Internet, I found then only a recipe of a "dark fruit cake" for which among others candied cherries, currents and raisins were needed.

So, apparently, it is used with food.

Detlef

4. mnzrob Senior Member

Denver, Colorado USA
    Chicago English and German
    Ah, ok. I guess I have seen that in wine descriptions too. Hmm, i always assumed it meant cherries or purple grapes, because you do get those flavors in wine, but i'm really not sure. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

Rob

5. Ralf Senior Member

Dresden
    German
    As far as I have found out 'dark fruit' is used as a (more or less precise) 'collective' term referring to all sorts of fruits of dark colour. Among the examples given were (proper) fruits such as plums, prunes, sloes, raisins, grapes and even apples as well as wild berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or elderberries).

Ralf