Date Format - English

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Toten, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Toten Junior Member

Spanish
    Is it ok if I change the normal date format in english from "November 12, 2010" to "12 of November of 2010" ?

I would like to mantain the order used in spanish: "12 de Noviembre del 2010".

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I think it is most definitely not OK.

3. honeyheart

honeyheart Senior Member

Quilmes
    Spanish (Argentina)
    I think that "the 12th of November, 2010" is right. Isn't it?

4. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
  5. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
  6. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    It is exactly right in Britain. That is our normal way of writing it.

However not so in the USA.

7. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Well, I may be losing my reading capacity, but I think this is not you wote in here:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2212162&p=11088977#post11088977

and I was under the impression that this message

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2212162&p=11088984#post11088984

was in answer to the question of how one reads dates, not how one writes them. And am I not seeing things clearly today, or there isn't an initial "the" in either of your two messages?

8. bzu Senior Member

English
    That's how I would write it (in prose) and say it.

9. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Yes, that's what I intended. It depends (as usual) on the context.

10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
  11. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    We see "18 July 2011" but we read (out loud) "18th of July two thousand and eleven"

I believe in the US you would say "July eighteen twenty eleven" (am I right?)

12. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Of course it's right in spoken British English, honeyheart. In Britain, we also occasionally say November the twelfth. I don't think this is worth arguing about. Problems only arise when we write the date numerically: 12/11/2010 (British) or 11/12/2010 (American) for the date you mention.

13. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Honeyheart, I have being questioning all the time the statement that that's the right format to write dates in BE, which you have both made and, at least for me, does not coincide with what I normally see in written BE.

14. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    It can be written that way, and as pointed out, it would be correct in prose, but when we just date a document, we usually leave out the prepositions and articles. Thanks for clearing it up, though:)

15. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Then it is all right for us non native English speakers to understand the the normal formats for (writing) dates in English are those explained in this message br grubble? And that in his next message he was answering a question about how to read dates?

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2212162&p=11088977#post11088977