Date format. Writing and reading dates. Good Friday.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Oros, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Oros Senior Member

Korean
    1. Today is the Good Friday.

2.Today is Good Friday.

I have a hunch that the first sentences is flawed.

We don't say today is the/a Friday.

We say today is Friday.

Your thoughts on the 1 and 2 sentences, please

2. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Hi Oros,

I'd say "Today is Good Friday"
    and Today is Friday or Today is a Friday

3. Oros Senior Member

Korean
    Why don't we say 'Today is the Good Friday' ? I just want to know the fault in having an article?

4. roxy_gurl Senior Member

canada, english
    I suppose you could use today is the good friday but it would make more sense if u said today is a good friday or today is good friday, it depends if u are talking about the holiday or just saying that today is good.

hope this helps

5. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi Oros;

'The' is what is called a definite article..and it precedes a specific noun...

Now..If you are refering to ' Good Friday ' as in the Easter holliday....then...
    technically..yes you have to use ' the '..due to the fact that it is required when the noun refers to something that is one of a kind...

If you are only refering to a friday in general then no....

Yet at the same time I agree with Art....I don't say it that way personally..:eek:

te gato;)

6. jniec

jniec Junior Member

USA, English
    We say
    Today is Christmas
    Today is Thanksgiving
    Today is Easter
    Today is Halloween
    Today is Good Friday (in capitals as a sacred holy day, it is considered one thing even though there are two words.)

These holidays do not take an article.
    Exception
    This is the Forth of July (Independence day)

7. jniec

jniec Junior Member

USA, English
    But would you say today is the Easter? the Christmas?
    I don't, but I'm not sure why.

8. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    hey jniec;

I was going by the technical rules :eek: of grammar...

If I was to say..' today is part of the Easter holidays.'....' We went home for the Christmas holidays.'..yes...
    Yet do I say 'today is the Easter.'...no.:D ..sounds very strange...even to me...

te gato;)

9. Jeremy Sharpe Junior Member

Canada, English
    There's really no explanation for it except that it's the way it has been done for a long time. It's like how we capitalize day names but not month names.

10. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Yes I agree here. It seems that English has taken to dropping the article off of sentences. Except in certain already mentioned situations.

Sweet T.

11. Oros Senior Member

Korean
    Jeremy wrote the following:

There's really no explanation for it except that it's the way it has been done for a long time. It's like how we capitalize day names but not month names.

It is not correct to say we don' t capitalize month names. We always say today is 26th of March 2005.

[Not 26th of march 2005]

12. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Oros;

No you are correct...We do capitalize the names of months..or at least I do..
    today is..March 26, 2005..
    In all the documents I did we had to have them capitalized.

te gato

13. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    I've never understood why the month is so important in North America. :) I would write 26 March 2005 which not only saves typing a comma, it puts each element in decreasing order of frequency of change (for what that's worth). But if I were using the date in a filename I'd do it in reverse: myfile-2005-03-26. That way any other files with similar names get sorted in date order. But I digress...

14. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey garryknight;
    I don't know why..:confused:
    all I know is that If the legal documents I did were not done like that they were rejected...
    ohhh..rejected documents were not a good thing...

te gato;)

15. Oros Senior Member

Korean
    You don't write bill clinton, do you?

You do write Bill Clintor, don't you?

The reason to capitalize the name of a person is that it comes under the category of proper nouns. It is a rule in English to capitalize proper nouns. So the name of a month, day or year must capitalize. It is incorrect to write 'today is 26th of march 2005'.

The following is from a dictionary:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    proper noun noun [C] SPECIALIZED
    the name of a particular person, place or object that is spelt with a capital letter:
    Examples of proper nouns in English are Joseph, Vienna and the White House

common noun noun [C] SPECIALIZED
    a noun that is the name of a group of similar things, such as 'table' or 'book', and not of a single person, place or thing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Axl Senior Member

Yorkshire
    England, English
    After the American Revolution, Webster decided that something had to be done to differentiate between American- and British-English. He opted for subtle changes. Principally, this meant spelling changes, e.g. favor (not favour), characterize (not characterise), &c. I suppose the date order could have its root there.
    Or, it could be a practical consideration: by placing a comma they simply remove to need to put an 'of' in. Not that we write 'of' in any case, but...

At the risk of being boring, US passports, American military institutions and most American academic publications use the British method.

Though seemingly trivial, it can and has been the cause of much confusion, especially in business dealings.

17. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Hey Axl, could you please PM me the reference where you found this info? These things by far fascinate me...evolution/adaptation of language...especially American English. I always wondered how some of those words changed.
    I have found that date order tend to vary depending on the situation. The only times I have seen "of" in a date was for legal purpose (notary public etc.) Can we elaborate more on this??

Many Thanks in Advance,

Sweet T.

18. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi T! Could you give me that info as well, when you have it? :D

19. Axl Senior Member

Yorkshire
    England, English
    Sorry guys, I think I must just have too much spare time. Either that, or I'm a geek. I don't have a clue where I got the information from, but I'm sure there are plenty of books on the subject.

I had a quick browse online & found a couple of sites that might be of some use to you.

I PM'd you both with the three URLS (one book and two websites). I haven't read the book or browsed the sites, & I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help. If I remember/find anything, I'll post it up.

20. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey mzsweeett;

I can only give you the knowledge I have on the subject..:D .
    Yes you are correct...When I had to prepare legal documents...they were prepared with the ' of '..oh! hang on now...actually they were done with both...The documents were started with the 'normal' date format...and the 'of' format was used for the signing part....
    Example:

March 26,2005

Dear Sir/Madam;....(or whom ever)

RE:HOUSE SALE OF MR. JOE BLOW

This is concerning..yadda, yadda..property sale on March 24,2005..yadda, yadda......

This document was signed before me on the ____ day of March, in the year of 2005.....
    yadda, yadda.....

Hope it helps....
    te gato;)

21. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    LOL Te Gato,
    If you promise to look for my coffee, I'll let you call me MZ!! LOL!! I know my name is long, feel free to abbreviate it any time!! Yes you did help me...how may more usages of this formal format are there in common practice?? The gremlin that stole my coffee again is also stealing my brain cells to where I can't remember.....:p

Sweet T.

22. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey MZ;
    Your coffee is here..which you owe me btw..after the search I did...
    aguhhhh...:eek:
    The way to list dates is endless...

International and Military Format...dd/mm/yyyy--day/month/year
    U.S. Format...mm/dd/yyyy--month/day/year
    Other Formats...are the same as both of the above but the year is changed to only yy/--instead of listing 2005 only 05 is put.
    Written...Saturday, March 26, 2005..is correct also...
    Legal...26 day of March in the year of 2005...and...Saturday the 26 day of March 2005..
    As far as using ' of ' from what I found... it is only for Legal papers..contracts..bill of sale..divorce papers...affidavits...yadda, yadda...
    and then my way..(the only way :D )..March 26, 2005..

te gato;)