1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

date format (written)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Mariany, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Mariany New Member

Cuernavaca, Mexico
    MEXICO-SAPINSH
    What is the correct way for written dates. My doubt is because in my school ( which is in Mexico) dates are written like this:

Monday, January 3rd, 2209.

I have checked some grammar books and they do not teach it this way in none of them.
    Tell me this is not right because I have to speak to my coordinator about it and I need to sustain my disagreement.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. mt2sea Senior Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    US English
    Hi Mariany. That is a correct way to write a date in English. Of course, there are other ways, but what you have is not wrong.

3. Mariany New Member

Cuernavaca, Mexico
    MEXICO-SAPINSH
    I am not really convinced I believe there is another way of writing them accurately. My school preaches that what I wrote above is the correct way but I am sure it is not. Please revise. Thanks a lot for your help

4. mt2sea Senior Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    US English
    Well, I have been writing dates in my native language for a long time, and that is how dates are written out in words. There may be slight variance, such as using a cardinal or ordinal number for the day. For example, today's date can be written as:

June 3rd, 2009
    June 3, 2009
    3 June 2009

But, as in most countries, we usually use numbers only. In this case, US English speakers typically prefer 6/3/09 or 6-3-09 (but always month-day-year). Fellow Americans, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

5. BellaLuna4 New Member

Kentucky, USA
    English - United States
    You are right on mt2sea. I think you covered all of the bases.

6. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Your date is correct. The year is always set off by a comma, as you have it.

However, my Englisg grammar book says: "The abbreviations st, nd, rd, and th are usually omitted after the day of the month. Still, that doesn't make your format wrong.

Saludos.

7. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    There are other permissible variations as well, depending on the context (which you did not provide). For example, in computer print-outs, it is common to use a 3-letter abbreviation for all months, yielding such things as:
    3 Jun 2009 or
    03-06-09.

It is a question of context and style.

8. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    I usually write 3rd January 2009 . Is that correct ?

9. mt2sea Senior Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    US English
    chamyto, that format is not incorrect, but it's also not very common in the US. We normally put the day after the month. Un saludo desde el otro lado del charco!

10. Santiago Jorge

Santiago Jorge Senior Member

Washington
    English, USA
    "3 January 2009" is more of a military style, and is rarely used in the general public.

And, chamyto, I would say that "the 3rd of January, 2009" is a little more correct.

11. Wisconsinite Senior Member

English United States
    Monday, January 3rd, 2209.

To confirm what others have said, the format originally proposed is PERFECT!

Totally correct in the United States. This is what we use and what we teach kids in school.

12. sj_robertson Junior Member

UK
    English - U.K.
    I know this thread is a little old, but I came across it through a google search and thought the matter needed further clarification...

This statement is incorrect. Using the format "3 January 2009" is the standard way to write a date in British English and has nothing whatsoever to do with "military style" as you suggest. Furthermore, one should NEVER write "of" in a date!

For the record:

January 31, 2009 (US English)
    1/31/2009 (US English)

and

31 January 2009 (UK English)
    31/1/2009 (UK English)

13. allencraig New Member

English
    In American English you WRITE January 31, 2009
    but you SAY January 31st, 2009.

14. Santiago Jorge

Santiago Jorge Senior Member

Washington
    English, USA
    In reference to sj_robertson comments above, I still maintain that in the US the day/month/year order is used in the US military, but not in the US general public, which starts with the month first instead of the day. My only error was not to specifically mention that I was only talking about American English, since I knew that it was different than UK English on that point. As far as the "of" issue, while it is true that it is "never" used in a date, when that date is being written at the top of a letter, for example, I was hoping that my use of the definite article before "3rd" would clearly show that I was talking about writing a date in the body of an informal letter (a more formal way would completely spell out the word "third") . . ..

15. ahmadpasha New Member

Iran
    Farsi
    I want to write "This plan in which has been approved in 360th session of the Supreme Council of Educational Planning in/on(?) 1998/06/28 is reviewed in the Scientific-Expert Commitee and is ratified in the 94th session of the Educational Planning Council of Applied Science in/on(?) 2007/06/23 Unanimously."
    Is this correct gramatically?

16. Nat22856 Junior Member

Now in the USA
    French from France
    Hi,
    May I join this thread, since I have an even more complicated issue?
    I understand that, according to allencraig, I have to WRITE January nine (not ninth), but what about years? I have to translate a legal document where all the date are in letters. For 1986, for example, should I write nineteen eighty-six? Is it correct or is it Thousand nine hundred eighty-six?
    Thank you

17. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    That's how I write it: no commas and in that order.

The USA favours more punctuation marks than the UK. E.g. the USA government writes 'U.S.' whereas the British government writes 'US'.

I never understand the logic of the month-day-year system used in the U.S. In most of Europe we use day-month-year (smallest length of time to longest) while in China, inter alia, they use year-month-day — equally logical.

18. Wisconsinite Senior Member

English United States
    Nat22856, I would never recommend writing out the year. There is a specialized forum for legal terminology though--perhaps they would have better feedback regarding legal documents.