1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

date - May 9th 2005 [saying dates]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Artrella, May 7, 2005.

1. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Please, I need to know for sure the way English speakers write the dates currently and how do you read them.

May, 9th 2005

5/9/2005

9/5/2005

Please help me!! The only way I'm sure about is the first one... this has always been a ??? to me.

Thank you!

2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I would say "the ninth of May two thousand and five" and I would write it 9/5/05. Americans, I believe, would put 5/9/05 and say "May ninth two thousand and five".

3. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Really? I have never heard of Brits doing that! Well, ya learn somethin new e'eryday! :D

This is true. We write the month first, then the day, then the last two digits of the year.

Although we may write it differently, we can read it a number of ways.
    "May ninth two thousand and five"
    "The ninth of May two thousand and five"
    "May ninth oh five"
    (if you can believe it -->) "Five nine oh five"

4. Helicopta

Helicopta Senior Member

Kettering
    England - English (Learning Spanish)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Americans missed out the 'and'...
    May ninth, two thousand five?

5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    At times, but it's not a fixed rule.

6. mjscott Senior Member

Yes, it is a fixed rule. As a Math teacher, we are instructed to explicitly re-teach students that it is two thousand five. In Math, and depicts a decimal point. The difference would be 2005 vs. 2000.5 (or, 2000,5 in some countries)--though I think Math teachers are not winning their technical plea. If you want correctness, regardless of what is popular (according to American Math teachers) save the and for when you have a decimal point.

5/7/05 (US) is written 7/5/05 in other countries. I have been told that Mormons write 7 May 2005 when doing geneaologies--only because there is a discrepancy between countries on how to post May 7, and it often gets transposed. Once they find out what the correct date is, they always write out the month, and separate the day and the year--so that no numbers from any point forward can be confused.

7. Helicopta

Helicopta Senior Member

Kettering
    England - English (Learning Spanish)
    Slightly off the topic, but... 'and' depicts a decimal point???:confused:
    If someone said thirty and five to me I'd think they meant 35. If they meant 30.5 I'd expect them to say thirty point five.

8. JJchang Senior Member

NZ - English, Chinese
    2000.5 is two thousand point five here... Do you have to teach the students again when you put units behind the numbers? "two thousand five dollars" sounds just strange.

9. mjscott Senior Member

Yes, strange to me, too. As I teach students that speak other-than-English in the home, it is made as a point to teach, for example,

135 = one hundred thirty-five:tick:
    rather than
    135 = one hundred and thirty five:cross:

Most American English speakers don't even make the distinction, or even know about it. Makes no sense with dollars--what's the point? It was taught to me to make that distinction. Why? So that some ESL kid will not get an answer wrong on a multiple-choice test down the road? Perhaps someone else can clarify for all three of us.

As said earlier, this is off-topic--so any other comments, I'll be glad to answer privately--but I agree with you.

10. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi mj my dear friend!! I really appreciate your explanations because this "and" was always a problem to me...so maybe off-topic but extremely helpful to me!!! Kiss! :p

11. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hey Art GF;

Just to add..in Legal documents..(here).. it is always written as such..

'Dated at the City of Calgary, in the Province of Alberta,
    this 7th day of May, in the Year of 2005...(sometimes 'in the Year of' is omitted)

te gato;)

12. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    Art: There was another thread where this topic was discussed. It might be worth doing a search for it as I think it went a little deeper than this one.

13. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
  14. lainyn

lainyn Senior Member

Canadian English
    Where I am from the date is written as May 9/05, or May 9th, 2005 (more formal)

If we are forced to write it in digits completely, we write 05/09/(20)05, although I admit it's confusing.

And I always pronounce the year as "Two Thousand 'n Five"

15. AverageJoe Junior Member

U.S.A: American English
    I would write it as 5/9, or 5/9/05 if the year is needed. I might also write it as May 9, 2005 in a situation like a letter.

I would pronounce the year as "two thousan five." I don't know why, but naturally I don't pronounce the d.

16. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Maybe because of the /f/ sound that follows? :confused:

17. JJchang Senior Member

NZ - English, Chinese
    If you say "two thousand'n five" then you can get that d sound...

18. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Yes JJchang, in that case you can pronounce it because you have the /n/ sound, the other way it is almost impossible to pronounce it... at least I've tried several times, and I cannot produce the /d/ clearly.. :D

19. Glaçon Senior Member

Paris
    Russia, russian
    In written English the dates are given like this:

- The meeting was held on 15 January

How should I read it?

20. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Or,
    - The meeting was held on the 15th of January.

"The meeting was held on January fifteenth."

Or,

"The meeting was held on the fifteenth of January."

21. Glaçon Senior Member

Paris
    Russia, russian
    Thanks a lot! :rolleyes:

22. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English

It doesn't matter if the date is written European style, as in the original post, or American style, as in Venus' correction...

They're still spoken the same: January fifteenth or the fifteenth of January.

Hope this helps.

23. Dalian

Dalian Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Mandarin
    Hello all,

Is it read first of May? the first of May? and how about 'May 1'?
    thanks a lot.

Regards,

Dalian

24. QUIJOTE Senior Member

USA
    I use the first of May or May 1st.

25. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ~chuckle~. Once upon a time, a the BBC radio news reader said something about King Charles Ist ... (reading IST as a single word - like fist without the f).
    How would you say May 1st?
    May first? - not in BE.
    May the first? - OK, but a bit strange.
    I agree with QUIJOTE about The first of May... that would be normal

26. Biondo Junior Member

England - English
    In England it is quite normal to say...

"The first of May"

or

"May the first"

but you would read it as "The first of May"

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Biondo.

27. modgirl Senior Member

USA English, French, Russian
    I prefer putting the date ahead of the month for simple logistics (the day changes most frequently, then the month, then the year). I have no idea what the official way is to say it orally, but I personally say either May first or the first of May.

28. Merlin Senior Member

Philippines
    Philippines - Tagalog/English
    Normally it's First of May. If it's May 1. I believe you can say it as May One. It's odd to say it May 1st. I remember a song entitled "First of May"

29. Biondo Junior Member

England - English
    Please remember that there are different forms of English i.e. Americans speak American English and say things differently from native English speakers, it doesn't make it right or wrong to say it differently but if you wanted to read or say it in correct English it would be, "The first of May" :tick:

Biondo.

30. Rach404

Rach404 Junior Member

London
    England/English
    Definately here in the UK people say "The first of May", here I have never heard anyone say "May first" or "May the first", maybe that's a US thing? I prefer "The first of May" it just sounds nicer.
    Rach

31. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    This kind of question has been asked before. Here is one example thread.

[By the way, what's the connection between the Star Wars movies and the 4th of May? On this particular day, a large number of radio DJs can be heard saying, "May the 4th be with you". True.:)]

32. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    To again post the American perspective, it's more common to hear May first. The first of May is also acceptable, but I think it's seen as more formal. I've never heard anyone say May one.

It's also known as May Day, but nobody in the States knows that anymore because of our historical phobia against communism.

33. mari.kit

mari.kit Junior Member

phil
    philippines/filipino, english, spanish (ok)
    hello...

i think it will depend on how you use it.. like when you're telling this to someone.. My birthday will be on May 1st. And when you write about an event.. eg: "....on the first of May.."

anyhow, both are acceptable. :)

34. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Personally, I write dates as "2 May 2005" and read them as "May second, two thousand five".

"The second of May" and "May the second" are also used and acceptable, but I don't say them myself.

My only problem is with "May two". I completely disagree with reading numbers in dates as numbers. I don't know any Americans who say "May two" or "August five". There probably are some people who do this, but I think most, if not all, Americans wouldn't say this.

35. Eugens

Eugens Senior Member

Argentina Spanish
    Hi!
    I've already asked this in the Spanish-English forum, but as I was wandering off a little from the original question of the thread, I couldn't ask every detail. Therefore, I'll ask here. :)
    I think I was told once that sometimes there are parts of the dates that are read out but not written down. For example, if what is written down is "27th December", that may be read out as "the twenty-seventh of December". Is that true? Is it the same to write "27th December" as to write "the 27th of December"?
    How would you read:
    "Two months later, on July 6th, he fired Owens." ("on July the sixth" or "July sixth"?)
    "'When's the concert?' 'On 6th July.'" ("on the sixth of July" or "on sixth July"?)
    "The competition ends July 6." ("ends July six" or "ends on July the sixth"?)
    "The date on the letter was 30th August 1962." (was the thirtieth of August of nineteen sixty two?)
    Thanks in advance!

36. sallyjoe Junior Member

UK English
    Today is Monday the 3rd of October 2005. When we are teaching students to say and write the date we tell them to say it - as above but write it missing out 'the' and 'of'. so its the same to write 3/10/05 or 3rd October 2005.
    Hope this helps.

37. AverageJoe Junior Member

U.S.A: American English
    American english differs greatly on the issue of dates. But, we do use it for some formal writings. But I do believe it would be written 27 December. Meaning the 27th of December. I usually pronounce it on December 27th.
    For one, I would say July Sixth, but the first would be right as well.
    For the second, I would say July sixth, but I have never seen something written like that. 6 July, not 6th July maybe.

38. Eugens

Eugens Senior Member

Argentina Spanish
    Thank you! :)

39. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    You can also say
    [a]"To-day is Tuesday, October 4th" or
    "To-day is Tuesday, October the fourth."

This is the more common usage in US.

Some barbarians say "October four"

40. argentina Junior Member

Argentina
    Hi! Can anyone help me with this doubt? Which are the possibilities of writing the date correctly both in BrE and AmE?

For eg.
    • May, Monday 5(th) Monday, May 5(th) Monday 5(th) May
    • Monday, 5(th) May
    Thank you very much!

41. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    In American English, you can write

Monday, May 1, 2006

or

Monday, 1 May 2006

The former is more common, I think.

42. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    In the US, the standard business format is Monday, May 1, 2006 - day, month/date/year, although we don't always use the actual day name.

Most word processing applications allow for different options.

In Europe I believe it is more common to have day/month/year. This was the format I had to use when I lived there.

43. Daz Junior Member

England, English
    And in British English, the latter is more common.;)

44. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    The format of 'dd mmm yy' is used in the military (for example 01 MAY 05), I haven't really seen it otherwise in the US

45. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There are previous threads about date formats. Use the advanced forum search and enter date format as Key Words.
    Here is one:
    Dates in British English

In normal business, we use 1 May 2006, 21 June 2006.

In short form, the internationalisation of staff is leading us to adopt a standard of dd-mmm-yyyy to minimise the risks of confusion created by AE- and BE-trained staff working in the same organisation.

46. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Does any English use Roman numerals in dates, please?

e.g.: 1.V.2006.

47. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    The only time that I've seen Roman numerals in English is at the end of a movie, where they list the year only (for example, MCMLXIII for 1963).

Found this post here http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html:

48. Daz Junior Member

England, English
    Nope, I have never seen a Roman numeral used in a date.

49. jasoncang Junior Member

China, Mandarin
    Hi,

How do you read 'June 2'? Same as 'June 2nd'?
    Is it ok to write 'June 2' in the first place?

Thanks a lot.
    Jason

50. mjscott Senior Member

Because June 2, 2006 is 06/02/06 in the US; and is February 6, 2006 in many Spanish-speaking countries, I usually opt for 2 June 2006.

(By the way, June 2, 2006 in many Spanish-speaking countries is 02/06/06.)