1. jonolumb Junior Member

United Kingdom, English
    What does "de bonne guerre" mean in the following context?

At a guess, I thought that this could either mean that the accusations are well-founded or that the accusations are warlike, provocative.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

2. joleen

joleen Senior Member

England
    french / france
    It means they're legitimate, justified or well-founded as you said.

3. jonolumb Junior Member

United Kingdom, English
    Thanks, that clears that up then!

4. xuartema Junior Member

Lausanne
    Switzerland, French
    Ma question : Y a-t-il un équivalent en anglais pour l'expression "de bonne guerre" ?
    My question : Is there an english equivalent for the french expression "de bonne guerre" ?

5. jonolumb Junior Member

United Kingdom, English
    As Joleen stated, legitimate, justified or well-founded will all fit.
    Jono

6. Fred-Fred Senior Member

French - Belgium
    You could also say that the accusations "are fair enough".

7. Uncas82 New Member

French - France

I'm sorry but I don't completely agree, or at least I would like to add something.
    "de bonne guerre" means that from that it's "sort of" legitimate, justified, etc given the point of vew of the speaker.

Actually it could even be totally illegitimate or unjustified, but an important point is that given who the speaker is what he says is not surprising.

I arrive late at the office because I went out partying all night. But I'm going to tell my boss my alarm-clock broke down: C'est de bonne guerre!

Maybe other french speakers could complete my possibly not very clear answer.

8. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Perhaps (in the case where the accusations are legitimate), colloquially, to maintain the notion of aggression: ... they have teeth. :)

9. Clyde Junior Member

Paris, France
    French
    "De bonne guerre" means that it is fair enough but not necessarily legitimate, in the meaning of lawful. It usually refers to an action, more or less aggresive, which is justified by the same kind of action from the other part. Not really clear but let's take a simple example:

Democrats blame Republicans for the hard times. (from NYT) We can say that it is "de bonne guerre" as Republicans (I guess) certainly did the same when Democrats were ruling... or if they did any kind of similar attack.

So ok, somehow it is legitimate, but not regarding the law, moreover the facts are not necessarily true nor justified, we just consider that all parties are using the same "weapons" and so the fight is fair.

Another example:
    Olympic torch relay in Paris was canceled, consequently Chinese call for boycott of French goods. C'est de bonne guerre. (it does not mean that the writer takes position but that each one is attacking the other, so it is a fair war).

I hoped I was clear.

10. hotpocket

hotpocket Senior Member

Douarnenez dans le Finistère
    American English / Boston
    Hello!

still not really clear to me...sorry. Would someone else have some other examples where 'de bonne guerre' is being used in context, and not being explained? thanks

11. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Perhaps: to be consistent with one's position/argument

12. Blind Clam Junior Member

I think that FredFred's answer above is quite accurate - fair enough
    It conveys the meaning described by Clyde anyway.

13. perrine18 New Member

French - France
    it's fair game?

14. sboddy New Member

English
    The English equivalent would be 'All's fair in love and war.' It's a little more unwieldy but you get the idea. There are no rules in this context.

15. Tochka Senior Member

That's what immediately came to my mind on reading the first responses. (I'm not familiar with the French expression.)
    "Fair game" has the sense that the action is "fair" in terms of a "tit for tat" or "eye for an eye" sense of justice, or at least that this action is to be expected as a normal response. One important difference, however, is how these are used in the sentence. The thing that is "fair game" is the target, this would not be said of what is aimed at the target. That is, in the present example, it would be "les responsabilités historiques des pays développés" that would be "fair game", and not the "accusations".

A similar expression is "fair play". It might be possible to say, "The accusations were...fair play," although this sounds a bit off to me in this context--if the subject is serious, I feel "fair play" as a sports reference may sound a bit too light.
    Also, Blind Claim's suggestion, "fair enough", might work.
    Of course, perhaps "the accusations...were justified" might be the simplest way to put it.

From what the native speakers have said, it doesn't sound like "all's fair in love and war" would have the right meaning, certainly not if there is any sense of justice at all to "bonne guerre." We use "all's fair in love and war" with respect to actions that are unfair means to an end, not to actions that are in any way justified. The expression means that there are no restraints or consideration of fairness when it comes to love or war.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012