1. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Would someone please explain to me the significance of this expression as well as what it means to you? I know that it means "of colors" in Spanish. I see it on shirts, bumperstickers, etc.

Thanks so much,
  2. Soy Yo Senior Member

EEUU - inglés
    There's a song "De colores" by Joan Baez.... Also I think that it is/was the motto of an Episcopalian church camp. I could be wrong about the latter.

De colores,
    de colores se visten los campos en la primavera.
    De colores,
    de colores son los pajaritos que vienen de afuera.
    De colores,
    de colores es el arco iris que vemos lucir.
    Y por eso los grandes amores de muchos colores
    me gustan a mí. (Repeat)

Canta el gallo,
    canta el gallo con el quiri, quiri, quiri, quiri, qui,
    la gallina,
    la gallina con el cara, cara, cara, cara, cara,
    los polluelos,
    los polluelos con el pío, pío, pío, pi.
    y por eso los grandes amores de muchos colores
    me gustan a mí. (Repeat)
  3. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    The song "de Colores" is the anthem of the UFW, United Farmworkers, of which Cesar Chavez was the founder. So, it has become their "logo".
  4. drei_lengua

Every time I see this phrase it has a rainbow in the background. What are people trying to convey when they put this on their car? I still feel that the above posts have not yet answered my question. :)

5. iignotus Member

CT, USA
    English, USA
    We had to memorize this song in class and write it down as a test... it was brutal!

I'm probably waaaaaaaay off base, but a lot of times when you see something like a rainbow or anything like that it may be about 'spreading diversity', or even says something about that person's lifestyle ;)
  6. drei_lengua

I understand what the rainbow without the words "de colores" means. ;) Check this site out. http://www.decolores.com/ The previous post might be on to something.

7. Hidrocálida

Hidrocálida Senior Member

I think the expression is about gay pride
    the expression is Orgullo gay De colores rainbow arcoiris
    see this link

8. drei_lengua

9. Hidrocálida

your link is about The Decolores Rainbow Store pride:D

then Decolores is a trade mark?
    I don't know how to say marca registrada in English:(
  10. drei_lengua

Did you even look at the site? Tiene que ver con religión.

11. Hidrocálida

si vi el sitio me parece que es de una asociacion catolica me supongo que comercializa productos marca Decolores para tener fondos que utiliza para eventos relacionados con la iglesia como los cursillos
    buscando en el google Decolores!- Top Associates,Inc
    me aparecieron varios sitios incluso uno de adopciones
  12. rodsa Senior Member

"De colores" means something like "assorted colors". When you buy shirts, for instance, you'll have a full range of color available to choose.

It also could have a meaning of fun, joyful, etc., in opposition to something "gris" (grey: sad, ugly, etc.).

That what it means to me. I hope it's been useful :)

13. BThode New Member

DeColores refers to the Walk to Emmaus, which is a weekend religious retreat first started by the Methodist Church. There is a Catholic retreat called Cursillo. The weekend is designed to bring Christians to a closer walk with Christ and enable them to become better workers within their churches.
  14. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    1. The song De Colores may have been performed by Joan Baez, but was not wrriten by her. It's an older Spanish folksong, apparently going back to 16th Century Spain (Baez is a little younger).

2. As a poetic, descriptive phrase, "de colores" has been used (obviously, from the previous posts) for different purposes. However, (and never having been a migrant farm worker myself, I can't speak from experience) to me, the song, when adopted by Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers labor movement as an "anthem," refers to diversity (as previously stated) and the idea that we are all one people under the same Sun (children of the same God, if you are religious), all deserving of the same dignity, all beautiful in our different ways. So it doesn't surprise me that the Gay Pride movement would adopt it, or a church movement, or the Advertising industry.

You might want to check this link
    One verse of this adaptation is as folows:

De colores, sí, de blanco y negro y rojo, y azul y castaño.
    Son colores, son colores de gente que ríe, y estrecha la mano.
    Son colores, son colores de gente que sabe de la libertad.
    Y por eso los grandes amores de muchos colores me gustan a mí.
    Y por eso los grandes amores de muchos colores me gustan a mí.

Moreover, there is such a thing as being too literal, especially when it comes to appreciating or poetry, literature or music (or wives), in which some of the meaning has to be appreciated on the non-literal side of the brain. You know, in Spanish an emphastic slangy Yes is Simón, not Sifuentes, and in English Yessiree Bob, not Yes Siree Irving. Why? Who knows? It just feels right.

Sometimes in translating a song, things like word length, meter, rhyme or just how it sounds out loud, count more than the literal equivalent. I apologize if this comment is not perfectly in line with the rules of this forum, but it seemed appropriate here.
  15. booklover Member

Dallas, TX
    I know this was posted a while ago, but I actually DO know the answer without speculation!

De Colores is the greeting for a goup of different Christian Renewal weekends - Tres Dias, Cursillo, Walk to Emmaus, to name a few. The greeting comes from the De Colores song, the traditional Spanish folk song, although in some communities it's sung in English. The rainbow does NOT stand for gay pride in this case, but because el arco de iris is mentioned in the song. People in Cursillo are called Cursillistias..in Tres Dias, Pescadores. Hope this helps.

To repeat, this particular word/ rainbow conmbination is specific to a group religious renewal weekends.