1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. petter.cap Senior Member

Spanish
    Hola otra vez :)

No comprendo el significado de "dead sober" en esta frase, que es el epitafio de Jonathan Grober. Dice:

"Jonathan Grober died dead sober. Lord, thy wonders never cease!"

Mi intento en español sin la parte en rojo traducida:

"Jonathan Grober murió dead sober. Señor, ¡tus maravillas nunca cesan!"

¿Saben qué quiere decir "dead sober" en este contexto? ¿Qué les parece el resto de la traducción?

¡Gracias a todos!

2. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Murió totalmente sobrio. Jonathan debía ser un borracho, y el hecho de haber muerto sobrio parece un milagro.

3. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    Hi,

Although I cannot offer a proper translation, I can try to explain the word dead used as an adverb here.

I think it is a play on words in this context (to demonstrate the irony of being "dead" in two senses), but people often use this modifier to express the equivalent of the absolute superlative "ist" or "ísimo".

Sober means free of alchohol/addictive substances (sobrio). To be "dead" sober means to be "completa/totalmente" free of of alchohol/drugs.

Other examples:

I was dead tired after running that twelve-mile race.

Did he really mean that? Oh yeah; he was dead serious.

To be really modern and "slangy," simply replace "dead" with "mad." This is grammatically incorrect, but is frequently used among teenagers.

One other idiomatic use of "dead" would be "dead on."

Example: Your insight was "dead on." This means, "right on target," "extremely precise," "perfect."

Also, you might say: "He was a 'dead ringer' for his great uncle." (Se parecían mucho.)

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I know I get too involved in these discussions sometimes. I hope it helps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  4. petter.cap Senior Member

Spanish
    Muchas gracias por sus respuestas; utilicé "completamente sobrio" :)