Death

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Setwale_Charm, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Is Death a he or a she in your language when it is portrayed in a symbolic way, as a personality? Does its gender always correspond with the gender of the actual word: la mort, la muerte etc?
    I am not even sure what its gender is in English but I think, it is masculine.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

In Greek it is ο θάνατος (o thanatos), and it is masculine. In Greek mythology, Thanatos was the twin brother of Hypnos (=sleep) and of course he personified death.

3. gao_yixing Senior Member

Shanghai
    Chinese
    I think it's....neutral in Chinese.

4. Abbassupreme

Abbassupreme Senior Member

California, U.S.
    United States, English, Persian
    Spanish: la muerte

Persian: Marg

5. alisha_miss_world Junior Member

Mauritius
    mauritius, french, english, urdu
    In french it is : " la mort " and it is feminine

6. OldAvatar Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Romanian: moarte

It's feminine.

7. Ilmo

Ilmo Member Emeritus

In Finnish the words do not have a gender, but the death (kuolema in Finnish) is always described as the "Grim Reaper", that is, an old and skinny man with a scythe on his shoulder.

8. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    "Grim Reaper" or "Scytheman" is of course a man, but nowadays it would be politically correct to say "Scytheperson" (viikatehenkilö), wouldn't it?

9. jonquiliser

jonquiliser Senior Member

Headquarters
    Svediż tal-Finlandja
    In Swedish, the word 'death' is gendered (there is no distinction between masculine and feminine any longer), but when you talk about the person Death, you say 'liemannen' and it's a he. It's a little like the grim reaper in English. 'Lie' means scythe, so he's the man of the scythe.

10. Tolovaj_Mataj Senior Member

Ljubljana, SI
    Slovene, Slovenia
    In Slovene: smrt (of feminine gender)

A personification here is Matilda (a skeleton dressed like a woman) with a scythe on her shoulder.

11. Krümelmonster Senior Member

Baden-Württemberg
    Germany, german
    In German you say "der Tod" (male) and he is portrayed as Grim Reaper, too.

12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    No, it varies. Often, the gender isn't even clear...

Seeing as you refer to "death" as "it", I'd say it's neuter gender.

13. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    In Urdu/Hindi and Gujarati, the word for death is "maut" (موت/मौत/મૌત) - borrowed from Arabic I guess - and it is feminine.

14. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    It's feminine.
    Yes, śmierć is always feminie.

Tom

15. daoxunchang Senior Member

China
    Chinese China
    Hmmm, in Chinese we traditionally do not personify "death", though we of course have our god of death. But now many people would use it personified, hmmm, and I think the pronoun for it in such cases is usually male"他".

16. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano
    Italian: la morte (it is feminine).

17. This is not quite what I am asking. It is definitely "it" in grammar but in symbolic language it is usually refered to as "He" , I think. It is probably due to it being personified as "the King of Terrors" in some English-speaking traditions.

18. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    In Dutch, the noun '(de) dood' is grammatically male/female. Our version of the grim reaper is called Pietje de Dood (Pete, male), and not Marieke :).

Groetjes,

Frank

19. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Azrail is what people call Death and it is usually considered as male, though not really portrayed or Turkish being a non-sexist language.

Erlik, however, is sure to be male. Though, not so many modern Turks know about him.

20. übermönch

übermönch Senior Member

Warum wohne ich bloß in so einem KAFF?
    World - 1.German, 2.Russian, 3.English
    The death in Russian, Ukrainian and Polish is Смерть/Smerć - the grammatical gender is female in all three languages and so is the personification - a woman with a scythe. The Polish symbolist Malczewski illustrated the concept quite well - 1, 2. :)

21. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Hi,
    Nice paintings, but I still prefer Boucq's representation in the comic strips Les Aventures de La Mort et de Lao Tseu, in which 'La Mort' tells us he/she is a hermaphrodite (sic!) ;-). But I guess that has more to do with the fantasy of the author than with the average image of the grim reaper.
    Nevertheless, the promo-talk for the comic books says: "La Mort a-t-elle un sexe? feminin, masculin?"...

Groetjes,

Frank

22. Abbassupreme

California, U.S.
    My apologies. I didn't read the starter of this threat properly. I'm pretty that Iran uses the Islamic name of the angel of death: Ezraa'il.

23. zúzmara

zúzmara Junior Member

Hungary, Hungarian
    In Hungarian: "halál". It doesn't have a gender.

24. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese: a morte. Feminine.

25. quesuerte

quesuerte Senior Member

Oxford English UK
    I agree that it is masculine in English, looking in an old English dictionary shows that the original word "Deaþ" was masculine.

26. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    The Arabic word الموت (al-mawt) is masculine (its grammatical gender).

27. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Persian:

marg

28. OK, some people have really grasped what I meant but some did not quite do. This is my fault, I should have probably addressed the thread into the Cultural Points, I was in doubt. What I was asking was not so much what gender this word is grammatically in your language but whether Death is culturally perceived to be a He or a She. So when in symbolic speaking, in fairy tales or archaic language would it be referred to as "He" or as "She", in which gender is it personified (and I believe, it is somehow in most langauges).

29. Abbassupreme

California, U.S.
    Oh, and Ezraa'il is the Arabic name for Azrael, the angel of death in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic monotheistic religions, who I'm pretty sure is personified as a guy, though I'd read somewhere that angels aren't supposed to have a gender.

And, in Persian, there are no gender specific pronouns/words, so death is really simply "marg".

30. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I think in many (maybe most) languages the concept of Death equals the gender that is assigned to it. At least that is the case in Portuguese.

31. Greenvampirekilts

Greenvampirekilts Junior Member

Atlanta, GA, USA
    English United States
    I think it is safe to say that in English, figuratively speaking, Death is masculine; I always think of Emily Dickinson's poem:
    " Becuase I could not stop for Death -
    He kindly stopped for me - "

32. suslik

suslik Senior Member

USA, Atlanta
    Estonia, estonian
    In Estonian we don't have masculine or feminine words, death is just: surm

33. paranoid82

paranoid82 Junior Member

Ankara
    Turkey-Turkish
    In TURKISH : Ölüm. It doesn't have a gender

34. But does it have an image associated with it?

35. paranoid82

paranoid82 Junior Member

Ankara
    Turkey-Turkish
    U ask me?

36. Well, anybody here:)

37. paranoid82

paranoid82 Junior Member

Ankara
    Turkey-Turkish
    Anyway!:D Death means in turkish ' Ölüm ' That's all;)

38. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Death only has a gender in languages that have a gender.
    In Germanic languages (German, English, Dutch, etc.) death is masculine. In Romance languages (Italian, Spanish, French, etc.) death is feminine.

Although death has no gender in genderless languages like Chinese, Japanese, Tagalog, its modern representations may be influenced by the masculine gender of English due to the widespread English-related iconography.

39. Qcumber, read the first post again:) I am asking about literary and mythological perceptions.rather than grammar.

40. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Hi,
    Nope, as written before, in Dutch the word 'dood' has two genders, masculine and female.

Groetjes,

Frank

41. awanzi Senior Member

Gent - Oost-vlaanderen
    Italy, Italian
    In Italian the word is "la morte", feminine.
    But I'm not sure that "La morte" is a woman... as it's a skeleton in a black dress!
    Anyway in Italian the "neutral" form doesn't exist... (not for Death, not for any other word).

42. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Perhaps you didn't realize grammatical gender reflects ancient mythological and modern literary perceptions.

43. doman

doman Junior Member

Vietnam
    Vietnam, Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
    Vietnamese:

Tử Thần / Thần Chết / Dead Deity

No gender

44. deine Senior Member

Lietuva
    Lithuania - lithuanian
    Lithuanian:

death - mirtis

it's feminine

45. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Hi,
    This would strike me as quite odd... Wouldn't this mean that mythology preceedes language? Which is quite contradictory...
    Any which way, what are the arguments to state that grammatical gender reflects mythology? How does Fr. 'la chaise' (f) / Du 'de stoel' (m) fit in this theory?

Groetjes,

Frank

46. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Not quite. You asked:

Not to mention that word genders frequently change with time or dialect. Il mare, o mar, la mer...

47. Maja

Maja Senior Member

Binghamton, NY
    Serbian, Serbia
    Same in Serbian: smrt /смрт (feminine).

48. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Interesting! maut or mawt الموت in Arabic is a masculine word.
    Interesting too !! :)
    Azrail is the angel of death in Islam. I don't know if Arab Christians use it as well or not.
    So, when we "personify" death, we simply think of the angel of death, Azrail عزرائيل , who takes peoples' souls to heaven where they await the Judgment day يوم الحساب .
    We refer to Azrail, as to all angels, by masculine.

49. silvester

silvester Senior Member

USA
    Mexico, spanish
    In Mexico "la muerte" (feminine)

50. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    What makes it feminine? Its ending? What is the mark of the feminine in Urdu?