1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

deep roll of blue at the tops

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Kiron, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Kiron New Member

Italia
    Italian
    Ciao to everybody ;-)

This is my question looking for some help...

"The men were dressed in blue, of the same shade as their hats, and wore well-polished boots with a deep roll of blue at the tops." (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Chapter 2 - Describing the Munchkins)

So far, according to me, possibile translations could be both of them:

"Gli uomini erano vestiti di blu, della stessa tonalità dei loro cappelli, e indossavano degli stivali ben lucidati con un largo risvolto blu in cima."

or

"Gli uomini erano vestiti di blu, della stessa tonalità dei loro cappelli, e indossavano degli stivali ben lucidati con un grande ricciolo blu sulle punte."

Which one is wrong and why?
    Or maybe both of them are wrong... ? ;-)

Which part is the "top"? The roll is a curl over the fingers? Or it could be also a cuff at the top of the shaft, where the top of a boot will hit on the leg?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    Ciao Kiron,

It's the first one. Now I'll try to explain why!
    1. If there were a curl at the toe of the boot, it would not be described as "deep." Large, perhaps, but not deep.
    2. The toe or point of the boot would not be described as the "top." Typically, the "top" of a boot refers to the highest part on the leg. It would be possible to refer to the part covering the top of the foot before the toe as the "top," but if anything were placed there, it would be "on" the top, not "at" the top.

(Incidentally, you've got toes, not fingers, on your feet! :))

3. Kiron New Member

Italia
    Italian
    Thank you very much for your answer, "deep of light from top to toes"... ;-)