Defining aesthetic of ‘practical indulgence’

Discussion in 'English Only' started by translation lover, Dec 13, 2012.

1. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Hi, I am working on an interview with Michael Kors, can someone explain the sentence in bold?

What do you believe contributes to the driving force of your continuous success?
    “MY EMPATHY FOR MY CUSTOMER, FOR ONE. AND THAT I HAVE HAD A DEFINING AESTHETIC OF ‘PRACTICAL INDULGENCE’ FOR MY ENTIRE CAREER.”

Thank you

2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    A lot depends on just what this text is.
    Is it the case (a) that Michael Kors is a native speaker of English and (b) that this is a direct quotation of his actual words?

If the answer to (a) and (b) is 'Yes', then (c) does he explain his meaning further in subsequent sentences?

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Michael Kors is a prominent American fashion designer, Wandle.

It's hard to know exactly what visual artists mean when they try to define their approaches in words, but I would take this to mean that Kors, in designing his fashions, has a philosophy of luxury of appearance ("indulgence") combined with practicality (usefulness). I've seen some of his creations, and it seems to me that this would make sense.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I am with Parla.
    Practical and indulgent do not sit obviously together but in fashion terms it suggests a luxury item which is functional for the wearer.

Lots of fashion is not very practical in any sense. I do not know exactly what practicalities he has in mind but maybe just being able to walk in his designs would be something practical. Maybe they are warm. Maybe they are washable fabrics. But they look good and luxurious in some ways too.

5. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Oh, "defining aesthetic" could be glossed as " signature look".

It is about the key characteristic of the overall appearance of his work.