definir de tres dedos pegado al palo (football)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by isztar, Dec 27, 2009.

1. isztar New Member

"definir de tres dedos pegado al palo"
    Is anyone familiar with such a phrase? It's supposed to be connected to football/soccer. Here's the context:

La entrada de Messi revitalizó al Barcelona, que lució apagado al comienzo del partido cuando Rojas aprovechó una falla defensiva en un pelotazo largo para hacerle un sombrero al arquero Víctor Valdés y definir de tres dedos pegado al palo.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I would say that Rojas kicked the ball over Valdés's head, then knocked it into the net just three fingers distance from the goalpost.

3. isztar New Member

Thank you :) Football language is all Greek to me.

4. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob Moderator

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    I'm sorry to disagree, Bevj. :)

"Definir de tres dedos" means to kick the football with the three last fingers of your right or left foot. On this site it is explained the kicking of a football with "tres dedos" when someone has to make a nutmeg:

But I don't know which convention does the English speakers use to talk about it. Perhaps, this can help.

Happy new year to both of you!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Gracias por el enlace, JeSuisSnob, muy interesante!
    O sea que mejor dicho: '....he knocked it into the net with the side of his foot'?

Si viste el gol en vivo o la reproducción en video, la definición que copiaste no encuadra de todo, pero lo de 'tres dedos', sí. :)

Happy New Year to you too!

6. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob Moderator

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Yeah, I think that's a good translation. :thumbsup:

The definition I posted talks about what we call "tunel" or "caño" (nutmeg). In that case you must kick the ball with the three fingers.

Ja ens veurem!

7. Beleninthesky Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina Castellano
    Sí, definir con tres dedos means to score a goal by kicking the ball with just three fingers, and "pegado al palo" means that the player was standing really near the goalpost.