Definitely & definitively

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by bonsai74, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bonsai74 New Member

Spanish
    Hi there,

what's the difference (if any) between definitely and definitively? When should you use each of them?

Thanks a lot!!

2. sgarcia Senior Member

SPAIN
    Yo creo que se usa igual pero aqui en la pagina de diccionarios.com te concreta un poco más.

Definitely

1 adverb without doubt
    sin duda, indudablemente, seguramente.

she definitely said that she'd be here at 4.00pm seguro que dijo que estaría aquí a las cuatro.

it was definitely him sin duda era él.

I'm definitely going! ¡yo voy, seguro!

2adverb definitively definitivamente

1interjection ¡desde luego!, ¡claro que sí!, ¡por supuesto! definitely not! ¡claro que no!, ¡de ninguna manera!

3. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Definite means without a single doubt. Definitive means decisively settling a matter or putting an end to dispute. Their adverbs keep the same meaning. That said, I think deifnitively is a lot rarer than than definitely.

4. lulu learning Junior Member

Ireland, English
    Definitely means without doubt, 'definitively' carries more the idea of a definition or being defined by something.

She definitely said she would be here by 4.
    Mahogony is definitively a type of wood.

As you can see they are often interchangeable as something that is definitive is usually true without doubt. Definitive tends to be used in more formal/technical texts.

hope it helps!

5. naime_83 Junior Member

spanish-argentine
    I have the same doubt...so, could it be definitely = definidamente and definitively = definitivamente? the first derives from definida/o and the second definitiva/o?
    I find it more common to say definitively than definitely
    Thanks in advance!

6. pfb

pfb New Member

ITALIAN

It derives from latin, the fact that definitely is more used than definitively is because of a phonetic shortage, by the way I think there is a nuance between the two terms: one is to define a certain measure or limit, the other is in order to set no further objections