1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dei miei stivali

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by barbaraduvivier, Nov 19, 2006.

1. barbaraduvivier Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Portuguese- Brazil
    Che cosa vuol dire "brasigliana dei miei stivali"???
    I received that message from a friend, but didn t understand the meaning...
    thank you for any help

2. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    I need more context to understand what it is that you meant. Alone, this sentence means:

Brasilian (female) of my boots...

Stivale in the singular can also refer to Italy (as it is shaped like a boot).

3. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    I'm pretty sure that a female Brazilian is brasiliana (note difference in spelling).

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I've googled "dei miei stivali" and found hundreds of examples.
    It seems that it is a very idiomatic phrase and probably very negative.
    They seem to use it with a person's name.
    I've seen "loser" as one translation, but it seems a bit stronger than that.
    We shall be in suspense for 5 more hours, 'til the real Italians awaken!!!!
    :)

5. Claudijko New Member

Bologna, Italy
    Italian, Italy
    "dei miei stivali" means "of no use or value"

It's a rather old-fashioned expression (now replaced by some more taboo one!) but it still used.

Note that in informal italian this expression is not as offensive as it sounds. Instead, it is usually used in a very friendly way.

per esempio:

"ehi, traduttori dei miei stivali, come state?" ;)

And yes, the right spelling is brasiliana.

6. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Superb answer.
    Your voice will be a nice addition.
    Complimenti.

7. fox71

fox71 Senior Member

Pisa
    Pisa
    Non credo che le abbia fatto un complimento, ma chi gliel'ha detto è veramente molto educato...era tanto che non sentivo "dei miei stivali!" :)

8. _forumuser_

_forumuser_ Senior Member

New York City
    Italian
    Ok, it may not be as offensive as it sounds, but this is no gentleman either, especially when nationality is involved.

9. fox71

fox71 Senior Member

Pisa
    Pisa
    Mi riferivo all'espressione, non al contenuto! :)

10. _forumuser_

_forumuser_ Senior Member

New York City
    Italian
    Si' Fox, non dicevo a te in particolare. I just wanted Barbara to be aware of the negative nuances of the expression. Then only she knows how she should interpret it.

11. barbaraduvivier Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Portuguese- Brazil
    Thank you very much!
    I'm still not sure if the guy was insulting me, but it is ok. Thanks again!

12. Equivalent forms are "del cavolo", "del put", "dell'accidenti", "del menga" - and of course the "del :warn:cazzo:warn:" that Claudijko was hinting at.

So: what's the correct translation of "dei miei stivali", in the end? :)

Is "of my boots" okay?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  13. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    No, I don't think that would be understood at all. You won't find an exact translation of this expression, but I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to express the same sentiment in English, depending on whether you really want to insult the other person or whether you are joking around with a friend.

14. I find Claudijko's comment
    ..to be a bit misleading: "dei miei stivali" is not a bad word like cazzo, sure, but it definitively IS an insult. It's like with "bastard": you can say it to a friend without resulting offensive (such as Claudijko did in his example "traduttori dei miei stivali").

Perhaps "good for nothing" would be an acceptable way to translate it, when "dei miei stivali" means "worthless". (Any other options, natives? ;))

But in the case of "brasiliana dei miei stivali", more likely it means "you fake Brazilian", or "you so-called Brazilian". (For example, you might want to yell "idraulico dei miei stivali" to a plumber who couldn't fix your sink, or even made the leaking worse than it was. So "dei miei stivali" = "you don't deserve to be called a plumber".)

15. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    Well, in the last case you mention (the plumber), in BE slang you could say "you cowboy!" but that would only work when referring to people doing (badly) that sort of job (plumber, builder etc). Eg "my garage was built by a bunch of cowboy builders! The roof fell in after 3 months"

All of your other suggestions (worthless, good-for-nothing, etc) are valid in the right context. You can also just use the word ":warn:shit" as an adjective, if you want to be more offensive.

Eg You are a :warn:shit plumber/student/computer engineer! etc

16. marco.cur Senior Member

Penso proprio di no! La frase in italiano, per quanto possa essere offensiva, non è volgare. La traduzione deve rispettare anche il linguaggio, non solo il significato.

17. Il chirurgo

Il chirurgo New Member

Arabic
    Can ''Ma quel medico dei miei stivali'' be translated as ''That excuse of a doctor''?

18. Black Opal

Black Opal Senior Member

Italy
    United Kingdom, English/Italian Speaker
    I would have translated it loosely as:

Brazilian, my a**e

Not a compliment, insinuating that the object of the phrase is trying to pass for Brazilian and isn't, in fact.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  19. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    Yes, that's a nice translation... Also: "that poor excuse for a doctor" and maybe "that two-bit doctor" ("second-rate" etc...).

I hope nobody used this epithet to the surgeon-doctor who posed this question! ;-)

EDIT: (response to post 17)

20. Il chirurgo

Il chirurgo New Member

Arabic

Lol, actually i came across this exact phrase in the dictionary, it coincided with my username (actually i'm still a med student).

21. Crofy Junior Member

Italy
    English - Scotland
    I agree with you Black Opal.. "Brazilian, my a**e! in the sense of "who are you kidding"

22. KiArale New Member

Actually the italian expression "dei miei stivali" is not devaluing the previuos term itself, but the person to whom is addressed. It has to be understood the ironic sense behind the sentence.
    Basically "dottore dei miei stivali" doesn't mean that you are bad as a professional, but as a person. Dottore is used as an appellation (or nickname) to re-inforce the irony of the message.
    Brasiliana dei miei stivali as to be meant like:
    You are brazilian -> I define you as a person using your nationality / I define the whole using a part (Synecdoche) -> Irony
    You are a cheap person, your value as a person is slightly under the average -> slightly negative and ironic meaning

23. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    Thanks, KiArale, I think you've added something important.
    So, maybe we get:
    my fine Brazilian friend (ironic + derogatory)
    my fine doctor friend (ironic + derogatory)

24. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    At first I thought you had mispelled :warn:ass (by adding an "e" at the end) - as that's the word I'd use, in the same sentence. Then I realized your asterisked word must be :warn:arse, and now I'm wondering if the word you used is perhaps more frequently used by BE speakers, and that the one I would have used is AE usage. Because while I understand :warn:arse, I cannot remember ever using it! :D