1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

deice, to deice [de-ice]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by shiny star, Nov 11, 2008.

1. shiny star New Member

Méxio
    Mexican Spanish
    Hola mi duda surgió al leer esta frase: Since the ground crew needs to deice the plane,....

he buscado "deice" y no encuentro resultados, me pueden ayudar, gracias de ante mano

2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello. The word should probably be written: de-ice. That is to remove the ice that has formed on the plane so that it can take off and fly safely.

3. shiny star New Member

Méxio
    Mexican Spanish
    No, the word is correct to deice, an is into the airport context, but tanks anyway

4. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    The word should be written de-ice. Your original may be written incorrectly.

5. Pitxuflitos

Pitxuflitos Senior Member

Bilbao-Spain
    Spanish & English
    Hi Shiny star,

Found this on the free online dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deice):

de·ice (d[​IMG]-[​IMG]s[​IMG])
    tr.v. de·iced, de·ic·ing, de·ic·es To make or keep free of ice; melt ice from: deiced the plane's wings before takeoff.

deice - make or become free of frost or ice; "Defrost the car window"
    de-ice, defrost
    dethaw, thaw, unfreeze, unthaw, melt, dissolve - become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat"

According to this, "deice" and "de-ice" are synonyms. Hope it helps. :)

6. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    This is a real case of something that is wrong becoming a norm by stealth as a result of repeated incorrect usage. "ei" is a dipthong in English and cannot create the same sound as "de-ice".
    While language is a living thing that can and does change over time, this cannot happen at the expense of practicality and precision. "deice" just does not work in English. For example, the "i" needs to be on its own for the final "e" to act as a silent magic "e" which makes the "i" be pronounced "eye".

7. Pitxuflitos

Pitxuflitos Senior Member

Bilbao-Spain
    Spanish & English
    Fair enough, Elirlandes, I have to admit I agree with you but I was surprised to find the entry in not one, but two, dictionaries (it is also in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). :confused: