1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Catalina Hoyos Senior Member

    Hola amigos.

    Necesito traducir: "delito callejero". Me refiero al atraco y robo a personas en las calles.

    Common assault of people????

    Gracias por ayudar!
  2. mariente Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina (somewhere in the planet Urban)
    hurto (sin violencia, arrebatar) o robo (con violencia)?
  3. Kevin R

    Kevin R Senior Member

    Ulverston, Cumbria,UK
    English, UK
    Mi traducción "Street robbery" o "mugging"(expresion muy común en UK)

  4. Hiker

    Hiker Junior Member

    English / USA
    "Street crime" is the phrase that comes directly to my mind. It is a common phrase and a direct translation from "delito callejero". Generally it includes "hurto" or "robo" or "asalto" -- todos los delitos que puede sufrir una persona mientras camina en la calle. Pienso que el asesinato o homicidio puede ser "street crime" si ocurre como parte de un robo, pero si es por motivación personal o político entonces deja de ser "street crime".
  5. Catalina Hoyos Senior Member

    gracias a todos.!!!!
    Si, me refiero a hurto en la calle ocasionando lesión o sin ocasionar lesión.

    Street robbery , perfecto! Gracias a todos...
  6. Homero Senior Member

    Mt Juliet, TN
    Me suena la solución de Hiker (street crime), pero sin buen motivo. Es que me parece la locución más probable, por lo menos en EE.UU.
  7. Alec Haskins Senior Member

    Argentina Spanish-English
    I was also thinking of "mugging", I didn't know it was only used in the UK.

  8. OMT Senior Member

    English - United States
    We say "mugging" in the United States.
  9. MarkLondres Senior Member

    Bogotá Colombia
    Hey Catalina. If I get atracado in Colombia I say mugged or colloquially I say jumped

    I got jumped in La Calle 4ª for example.

    I don't personally like Street Robbery as an option because suppose you get atracado and beat the living hell out of your assailant then there has been no robo.
  10. Homero Senior Member

    Mt Juliet, TN
    "Jumped" can have a sexual meaning in the US. "Mugged" is an excellent solution, except when it must convey the element of violent attack. A mugging may be simply a street crime involving robbery. The term I suggested, "street crime" should be used only as a category. An incident of street crime could be a mugging, but--if the element of violence is involved--I suggest "mugged and beaten." If it is not deemed important (because of context) to convey violence because it is already understood, then "mugged" can stand alone.

Share This Page