Demobilization - disengagement

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Hassan T, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hassan T New Member

Geneva
    French
    تحية طيبة

أشكركم مقدما إذا تكرمتم بإبلاغي كيفية ترجمة التعبيرين أدناه

I want to translate "disengagement" [individual] and "[collective] demobilization from a militant organization" in Arabic (as opposed to commitment / involvement).

In the case of (individual) disengagement, the following doesn't seem too bad to me:

• فك الارتباط عن
    • الانسحاب من

But in the case of (collective) demobilization, the term used for army demobilization (تسريح) is completely unsatisfactory if only because it implies that someone else is releasing the militants from their duty, whereas I am interested in the cases when the militants decide to disengage / defect collectively from a movement or cause for reasons ranging from disillusion to unsustainable repression, etc. Perhaps one could say انسحاب جماعي or something in the same vain, but isn't there a perfect equivalent of "demobilization" as I have exposed it?

وأشكركم جزيل الشكر على المساعدة

مع أطيب التحيات

حسن

2. screamerer Senior Member

Arabic
    I'm not sure I completely understand you, but if you're talking about troops willingly rebelling against their leadership as to defy its orders and, possibly, turn against it, then I believe the word you're looking for is الانشقاق

اعلان انشقاق عدد من الضباط عن الجيش و لجوئهم الى احدى الدول المجاورة

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. Hassan T New Member

Geneva
    French
    Thank you very much. I did not have the military context in mind. Rather, I was thinking about militant organisations like, say, the Communist Party. I meant when people leave an organisation, formally or not. For instance, a person or a group can demobilise or disengage from the Communist Party, that is, they can cease to be active / militant or formally quit the organisation for any reason, like because they do not feel any more that a revolution is possible, or because their ideological beliefs have eroded. This does not necessarily entail rebellion or disaffection.
    But I think انشقاق is rather satisfactory, thank you very much again.

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Mobilisation is تعبئة so I guess we are looking for its مضاد
    Maybe هجر

5. Hassan T New Member

Geneva
    French
    شكرا جزيلا يا إسكندراني
    وعاشت مصر

6. suma Senior Member

USA
    English, USA
    Hasan T I don't get what distinction you're making between individual or collective?
    In my mind the two words are the same, whether done by a single person or a abody of troops.
    disengagement = to sever ties, undo connections, remove from involvement
    demobilization = to pack up equipment and vehicles and return to place of origin

7. Hassan T New Member

Geneva
    French
    I have in mind sociological literature in French relating to social movements (by Olivier Fillieule). Perhaps the distinction is present in French rather than in English. I am not a native speaker of English. In any case thanks a lot!

8. tomthumb Junior Member

English
    فض الاشتباك
    is more appropriate for political contexts....what did you decide on for your social/linguistic context?

9. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    اشتباك I've only ever seen used in a literal sense when standalone.
    Maybe تهدئة , تفكك , حل , انحلال or some similar word. I do not understand what is quite meant by the term in this field (social movements).