denied you

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by wichuraiana, Mar 1, 2013.

1. wichuraiana Junior Member

English - United States
    I'm trying to translate this sentence from the introduction of an English-language Japanese booklet which was propagated in the Philippines during the Japanese occupation.

"This booklet is offered as one way of acquainting you with your neighbor, the necessary contacts with whom you have been denied a long time by evil forces from outside."

Right now I am stuck on the phrase "you have been denied by". I can't think of a Japanese equivalent for this phrase.

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Is this disagreement or segregation between people due to any political (wartime) conflict? You can directly translate 'denied' into 否定された, but we tend to add 存在を: this sentence will be like (evil forcesによって長く)存在を否定されてきたあなたたち・・ but arrange according to your translation.

3. Schokolade Senior Member

Japanese
    ^ ここで使われている "deny" は 「(与えるべきものを)与えない」,「(要求を)拒む」, "refuse to let have", 「所有させることを拒む」を意味するのではないでしょうか。
    (この辞書では2番にあたると思います。→ http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/deny )

...なぜなら、"the necessary contacts with whom" の中の関係代名詞 "whom"の先行詞は直前の "your neighbor" で、関係代名詞を使わないで表すと、文全体は
    "
    This booklet is offered as one way of acquainting you with your neighbor. You have been denied the necessary contacts with your neighbor a long time by evil forces from outside"
    (または、後半を能動態にすると、"Evil forces from outside have denied you the necessary contacts with your neighbor for a long time" というSVOOの形の文)
    ...のように書き換えられるのではないかと思うからですが、いかがでしょうか。

I think it could be like...
    "長年にわたり、evil forcesによって、隣国との必要な接触があなた方に与えられてこなかった。"
    "evil forcesにより、あなた方は長年にわたり、隣国との必要な接触を
    絶たれてきた(or 持つことができなかった/を許されなかった?)。"
    "あなた方が長年evil forcesにより必要な接触を拒まれてきた(or阻まれてきた?)隣国(を知る(=acquainting)ための一つの手段としてこの冊子を提供します/お渡しします)。"
    "長年、evil forcesによって必要な接触を
    絶たれ続けてきた隣国(を知るための一つの手段として...)~~。"

-----
    Tell me if I'm wrong! 読み間違えていたらご指摘願います。

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. wichuraiana Junior Member

English - United States
    Thank you for the very detailed replies!