1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. scamper Senior Member

Huesca, Spain
    English
    I'm not really up to translating history but need to tackle the following phrase - all help appreciated!

Una dominancia, que con sus clarioscuros, aparece hoy como positiva, rompiendo las raíces africanistas hispanas, que de vez en cuando aún afloran con denostado romanticismo.

I am assuming it should read "claroscuros" and am having trouble translating "denostado."

Today this dominance, with all its obscurities, is considered as positive; it broke the Africanist-Spanish roots, which still flourish from time to time with insulted romanticism.

Help!

2. Gathering Junior Member

Spain
    Do you think you could use "injured" to translate "denostado"?

3. lullaby_80)

lullaby_80) Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    It is "claroscuros" indeed, and the word "denostado" seems a bit wierd as it is there.
    Something "está denostado" when it is treated pejoratively, or it has fallen into decay. Maybe it refers to the fact that romanticism (in the sense of romantic love, but maybe here it's about the style) is considered tacky, but I'm not sure this is the sense conveyed, because the writer's style is quite round-about and affected, and this makes it difficult to understand even in Spanish.

4. scamper Senior Member

Huesca, Spain
    English
    Hello again lullaby, now you see the difficulties I've had with this text!

Injured is a good alternative Gathering, thanks for the input. Or maybe even affronted?

All help much appreciated :)

5. lullaby_80)

Spain - Spanish
    Just something else I've noticed.
    I think "aflorar" conveys a meaning different from "flourish". "Aflorar" is similar to "asomar", or "brotar" (begin to appear), rather than succeed/develop. That would be "florecer".

6. scamper Senior Member

Huesca, Spain
    English
  7. lullaby_80)

Spain - Spanish
    I just entered here a moment ;) hehe, and these round of questions-answers is very useful practice.
    See ya!