1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dentadura postiza (¿puente?) - se le cayó

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Vale_yaya, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Vale_yaya Senior Member

Minnesota, USA
    Ecuador/Spanish
    I need to translate something from spanish to english, it doesn't need to be literal:

Parece que perdió su dentadura postiza en el accidente. No se sabe cómo, pero se le cayó.

It seems that he lost his "bridge" (???) in the accident. Nobody is sure, but it kind of slid out (???).

Quiero expresar esto, y la verdad no encuentro las palabras correctas. Gracias de antemano!

2. hardball Junior Member

Maryland, USA
    english/usa
    I'm not sure this helps but a bridge is a dental prothesis device which probably slid out of his mouth.

3. Vale_yaya Senior Member

Minnesota, USA
    Ecuador/Spanish
    So.. do you think It sounded ok the way I did it?... what do you think??... thanks!!!

"dentadura postiza" is an artificial denture, that's why I'm not sure if it's the correct term to use. Because in spanish there is "puente" which is something similar to bridge.

4. hardball Junior Member

Maryland, USA
    english/usa
    It depends on the person you are writing to. In english business writing a lot of emphasis is placed on the person reading the document. If they are professionals like dentist or doctors you may want to use more technical terms. If you are writing to layman, then it should be o.k.

5. agarrard New Member

English - Spanish (Mexico)
    I need to translate the word "bridge" for a patient. Would I use "puente" or "dentadura postiza"? It is for a dentist's office. Gracias!

6. Rosendo New Member

Spanish
    A "bridge" is a fixed prosthetic device that cannot be removed by the patient and requires some kind of preparation of the teeth at each side (it would be a "puente" in Spanish). "Denture" would be more accurate for describing a "dentadura postiza", which is an appliance that can be (and should be) easily removed by the patient for everyday cleaning. If the denture replaces all teeth in one arch (upper or lower) is called "full denture" or "partial denture" in case one single tooth remains in the arch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008