1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dentro de la lista de proveedores - the list of suppliers/the suppliers list

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by alaitz_82, Feb 10, 2013.

1. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Hello everyone!

I don't know where to post this thread, not sure which forum is the right one for the following question, so since I'm a Spanish speaker, I've decided to post it here.

The question is very simple (I guess) to native English speakers.

I always wonder about the use of the word "of" or "noun adjuncts" / ·attributive nouns" in formal language, is it more appropiate to use "of" instead of "noun adjuncts/attributive nouns" when possible? Because the are the same and mean the same, and if in a sentence both sound good, which one should I use? Or it just doesn't matter.

For instance:

"También se indican en este procedimiento las condiciones exigibles a los laboratorios de calibración y transportistas para ser considerados dentro de la lista de proveedores aprobados."

My translation:

"Also, in this procedure is indicated the required conditions to calibration laboratories and shippers for being considered within the list of approved suppliers."
    "Also, in this procedure is indicated the required conditions to calibration laboratories and shippers for being considered within the approved suppliers list."

2. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    "...from a list of approved suppliers."

OR

"...from the list of approved suppliers." The remainder of your sentence needs changing too.

3. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    Also, this procedure indicates the required conditions for calibration laboratories and shippers to be considered on the list of approved suppliers.​

Tu pregunta es buena. Mi respuesta no es así:mad:.

Ya tienes arriba la idea importante (if they both mean the same and both sound good). Sí, los significados son lo mismo, pero en este case, "list of suppliers" suena más natural. No sé por qué exactamente.

4. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    No te preocupes, a mi me pasa lo mismo.

Lo que quiero saber exactamente es si en un texto formal, siempre que se pueda y suene bien es mejor usar "of" en vez de un "noun adjunct"or "attributive noun". Gracias.