dentro y sobre el suelo (within on on)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by mayarine, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mayarine

mayarine Junior Member

Swedish and Spanish
    La materia orgánica del suelo, proviene en su totalidad de los restos muertos de vegetales y animales que viven dentro y sobre el suelo

how could I translate these prepositions in the best way possible. I'm not at all satisfied with the way I translated it, but I can't find a better translation:

The organic matter of the soil, comes in its totality from the dead remains of vegetables and animals that live in and on the soil.

thank you for being so helpful, this forum is great!!!

2. gurseal Senior Member

USA Southeast
    English - USA
    I don't see a problem. Your use of the two prepositions raises no red flags.

3. mayarine

mayarine Junior Member

Swedish and Spanish
    okey, that is comforting. maybe it is because I don't find it clear enough.
    thank you!

4. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    You could say
    "within and on top of"
    or
    "within and above"
    which might be a little clearer.
    I believe the Spanish should have said "dentro de".

P.S. Please start sentences with Capital Letters within the WR Forums (per Rule 11), OK?

5. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    comes in its totality - comes entirely - sounds better

6. mayarine

mayarine Junior Member

Swedish and Spanish
    Great! I will remember the capital letters.

7. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    The organic matter of the soil is totality made up / comprised of plant and animal remains found within and above the soil.

The organic matter of soil is totally made up / comprised of plant and animal remains found within and above land.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  8. mayarine

mayarine Junior Member

Swedish and Spanish
    That is another doubt I have. I'm translating (Spanish to English) a course in agronomy and the term vegetal is constantly being used in Spanish. I want to translate it to plant but it doesn't always look right so I use the word vegetable but it looks even worse. A few of the many examples are:

The original state of all rocks is compact and don’t allow any vegetable development,

To let the vegetables grow, the compact rock has to go through a process of

capable of allowing the vegetable development. (= desarrollo vegetal)