dependencia enólica

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by China Girl, Apr 30, 2013.

1. China Girl Senior Member

England
    English
    Hi all,

This term and similar appear in a discharge report I am currently translating relating to a patient with various psychological issues.

The phrase in question appears in the "reasons for admission" section of the report.

The reasons are listed as "agitación psicomotriz, trastorno conductual y gesto autolítico, todo ello en el contexto de dependencia enólica"

Further information from the report would suggest that the patient is addicted to alchohol. Is this a more scientific way of saying alcoholic dependency. Would this be an acceptable translation. I can't find many references to "enolic dependency".

2. EricEnfermero Senior Member

La UCI Neonatal
    US - English
    Pretty close. I would say alcohol dependency. There is an English word, enol, but it's not really used outside of chemistry labs. There are other enols besides ethyl alcohol, but nothing that anyone would want to drink. :)

3. auxilio! Senior Member

English - Australia
    Que extraña, 'dependencia enólica'... Without questioning the conclusion of 'alcohol dependency', my chemistry is rusty but it occurred to me that I would have known had ethanol been classified as an enol, and, sure enough it isn't, not in English anyway; because the carbons aren't double-bonded. FWIW

4. EricEnfermero Senior Member

La UCI Neonatal
    US - English
    It looks like I totally messed that one up. I apologize for the confusion!

5. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    No, Eric, you did not mess it up at all: That is one of the ways it is called in Spanish and you translated it correctly. It is one of those cases where the colloquial language goes beyond chemical formulas. Why it is so, I don't know; perhaps because enols are also some kind of alcohols and they generalize it to all of them? I would not be able to answer that question, but that "dependencia enólica" means "alcohol dependency," was correct. No need to apologize.

6. auxilio! Senior Member

English - Australia
    La verdad, yo no pensaba nada distinta. Es bueno tener la confirmación de de que enol sea lo correcto en español.

7. EricEnfermero Senior Member

La UCI Neonatal
    US - English
    Gracias por la aclaración. :thumbsup:

8. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    No me entiendas mal: no dije que el enol fuera correcto, sino que es coloquial, es un coloquialismo médico. Químicamente, lo correcto es que el etanol no es un enol, tal como dijiste en tu posting anterior. No estamos hablando de química, sino de la traducción de una expresión del habla cotidiana.