1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Franglais Senior Member

English. England.
    Ok, a complaint filing, etc. But in this sentence? It's half translated...

Also, you must declare the burglary, attempted burglary or act of vandalism to the police authorities immediately. You are under obligation to provide us with a .... nous fournir obligatoirement une attestation de dépôt de plainte.

2. Franglais Senior Member

English. England.
    Anyone have an idea?

3. CDHMontpellier

CDHMontpellier Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    "Evidence of having filed a complaint" ? "An attestation of the complaint filed" ? "A copy of the complaint you filed/your filed complaint" ? Just suggestions. :)

4. Franglais Senior Member

English. England.
    I was thinking this, but do you file a complaint when someone burgles you? It has never happened to me or anyone I know, and to file a complaint seems a little silly!?

5. phynaert Senior Member

Lille, France
    France - French
    My dictionary says "to lodge a complaint" for "déposer une plainte / porter plainte".

Is it better than "to file a complaint" ?

6. Orlandoooo Junior Member

England - English
    You don't file a complaint as such, its more that you report the burglary, which is a more likely translation?
    Although complaint is the translation, it probably makes more sense in French and has a more relevant meaning to the context.

7. Orlandoooo Junior Member

England - English
    plainte also gives a translation as "bill (juridical)" which makes more sense?

8. 871977 Senior Member

Ireland
    Ireland - English
    An incident report form?

9. Franglais Senior Member

English. England.
    Great responses. Thanks all!

10. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

In the US if you discover your house has been broken into, you file a complaint. The police write it up and start an investigation. What they give you (e.g. for your insurance claim) is called a police report.

11. phynaert Senior Member

Lille, France
    France - French
    By the way, in France you can also use the procès-verbal (PV) de dépôt de plainte to prove that you filed a complaint.

I guess that police report is very close to procès-verbal de police.

12. Franglais Senior Member

English. England.
    Thanks again. Outil a savoir :) !