1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

derecho real

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by sanchezua, Jul 14, 2006.

1. sanchezua Junior Member

SPAIN
    Como se dice derecho real??
    Gracias

2. alelifich Senior Member

Si te referís al término legal se dice "Real property", lo estudié.

3. uio Senior Member

Quito, Ecuador Spanish
    English, USA
    I´m having problems with the translation of "derecho real."

Context:
    "La concesión minera es un derecho real e inmueble, distinto e independiente al de la propiedad de la tierra en que se encuentra aunque ambas pertenezcan a una misma persona."

My translation:
    "A mining concession is a real and property right, distinct and independent from that of the property of the land on which it is found, even if both of these belong to the same person."

Maybe "personal right" would be ok? The Spanish definition of "derecho real" is the following: "potestad personal sobre una o más cosas, objetos del Derecho."

4. Dani California

Dani California Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    "La concesión minera es un derecho real e inmueble, distinto e independiente al de la propiedad de la tierra en que se encuentra aunque ambas pertenezcan a una misma persona."

Otra opción: The mining concession is a right in rem (or an in rem right) different and independent from the ownership of the land upon which that right is established, even though both belong to the same person.
    Saludos

5. uio Senior Member

Quito, Ecuador Spanish
    English, USA
    Mil gracias, Dani.

6. David Senior Member

Consider: ""Under the divil law system, ownership of the subsoil minerals is always in the state, inalienable and imprescriptible"; also "Derechos mineros:...in Latin America, mining rights granted to private interest are not a grant of an ownership interest....Rather,...[they] are concessons or licenses...considered separate from the real estate where they are located... 'The state retains the right to control, in the public interest, any property rights it has not given away.'"

That being, the case, I think that in the phrase real e inmueble, inmueble refers to the "real" in "real property," while `real might also be translated as "Crown" for British courts and "State" for US courts.

7. uio Senior Member

Quito, Ecuador Spanish
    English, USA
    Could I refer to "derecho real e inmueble" as "tangible and immoveable right (property?)"

8. Dani California

Spain, Spanish
    No, en mi opinión.
    En todo caso: immovable real right, (no tangible)

9. David Senior Member

I would not recommend "immovable real right", either.

a derecho real, is, as Dani said, an in rem right (or "a State grant" [of the concession]), and inmueble property ("real property") is the opposite of "tangible property" (bienes movibles.) For "El derecho minero es una concesión real e inmueble..."

I would say "Mining rights are the concession [the Crown (or "the State")] of rights in rem to real property"

10. Dani California

Spain, Spanish
    Yo creo que la expresión "immovable real right" si es correcta, en cuanto equivale a derecho real constituído sobre bien inmueble.
    De hecho es la expresión usualmente empleada:
    A concession is defined as an immovable real right that grants the
    holder the exclusive authority to explore, or explore and exploit, mineral substances within the concession, and become the owner of
    any extracted substances, in the case of an exploitation concession (
    http://www.bhpbilliton.com/bbContentRepository/Reports/2004Form20FDescriptionofBusinessPartA.pdf
    http://www.menergia.gov.ec/ingles/secciones/mineria/DinamiCatalogo.html
    Por otra parte, como ya se dijo, derecho real también puede traducirse como right in rem.
    Hay varias formas de expresarlo, a mi entender.
    Saludos

11. uio Senior Member

Quito, Ecuador Spanish
    English, USA
    Well, to be sure, I have gained a much deeper understanding of the whole subject. Thank you so much David and Dani for all of your input.