deren Bedeutung man freilich erst recht zu würdigen weiß...

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by weristich, Jul 14, 2011.

1. weristich Senior Member

US and English
    Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding this sentence. I am confused by the adverbs in this sentence:

Schloß und Schloßpark sind besondere Schmuckstücke... deren Bedeutung man freilich erst recht zu würdigen weiß, wenn man auch im Schloß gewesen ist.

Does this mean:
    The palace and grounds are special treasures... whose importance can certainly be better appreciated after a visit.

I am not sure if I am fully conveying "freilich erst recht". I am trying to avoid "man."

Thanks in advance.

2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    freilich = of course
    erst = only
    recht würdigen = appreciate properly

It's an accidental collocation of erst and recht. They don't go together.

3. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    They do go together in German:

even more so = erst recht

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    Very true. You can take it like that, but I think that the other interpretation makes more sense.

5. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    Yes, indeed, it's ambiguous. I did not look at it like that. But I think both variations make sense.

Edit: I still think (after reflecting about the sentence once more) the author would have written "die man freilich erst richtig / wirklich zu würdigen weiß, ... / erst dann recht zu würdigen weiß, ..." if he/she had meant it that way. Let's wait for other responses concerning that interpretation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    I actually read it your way first, but then I thought that zu würdigen weiß is too high-style for an every-day phrase like erst recht.

But you are right that recht is archaic in the sense I'm taking it in. Let's see what the other opinions are.