1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

deren Bedeutung man freilich erst recht zu würdigen weiß...

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by weristich, Jul 14, 2011.

1. weristich Senior Member

US and English
    Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding this sentence. I am confused by the adverbs in this sentence:

Schloß und Schloßpark sind besondere Schmuckstücke... deren Bedeutung man freilich erst recht zu würdigen weiß, wenn man auch im Schloß gewesen ist.

Does this mean:
    The palace and grounds are special treasures... whose importance can certainly be better appreciated after a visit.

I am not sure if I am fully conveying "freilich erst recht". I am trying to avoid "man."

Thanks in advance.

2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    freilich = of course
    erst = only
    recht würdigen = appreciate properly

It's an accidental collocation of erst and recht. They don't go together.

3. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    They do go together in German:

even more so = erst recht

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    Very true. You can take it like that, but I think that the other interpretation makes more sense.

5. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    Yes, indeed, it's ambiguous. I did not look at it like that. But I think both variations make sense.

Edit: I still think (after reflecting about the sentence once more) the author would have written "die man freilich erst richtig / wirklich zu würdigen weiß, ... / erst dann recht zu würdigen weiß, ..." if he/she had meant it that way. Let's wait for other responses concerning that interpretation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    I actually read it your way first, but then I thought that zu würdigen weiß is too high-style for an every-day phrase like erst recht.

But you are right that recht is archaic in the sense I'm taking it in. Let's see what the other opinions are.