1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Derivati del dattero

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by LaMarta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. LaMarta New Member

ITALIANO
    Ciao a tutti.
    Come mi consigliate di tradurre "derivati del dattero"?
    Per "Derivati del dattero" intendo gli ingredienti che si ottengono dal frutto : estratto di dattero, pasta di dattero, farina di dattero, etc.
    E' corretto dire "date derivatives"?
    Grazie a tutti! :)

Marta.

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Derivatives, no. Forse "date products"?

3. LaMarta New Member

ITALIANO
    Rrose17, grazie della risposta.
    Ad ogni modo, "date products" non so se rende esattamente l'idea di quello che voglio dire. Devo descrivere un prodotto che vende la mia azienda, nello specifico un biscotto al dattero, realizzato utilizzando i derivati del dattero. Se secondo te rende l'idea, posso dire "Date Biscuit made with date products and filled with date cream". Come suona?

Grazie!

Marta.

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    E la frase intera in italiano?

5. LaMarta New Member

ITALIANO
    La frase in italiano sarebbe: Biscotto al dattero a base di derviati del dattero e ripieno di crema al dattero.

Grazie!

6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    I don't think in this context you need to say products or derivatives. Simply
    Date biscuits made with dates and filled with date cream.

7. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    I don't think so: dates are different from their derivatives, so if you say "biscuits made with dates" it means they are made with the whole fruit, while in the biscuit only derivatives, like a kind of honey, are used. This is my opinion, however it may be wrong.

8. longplay Senior Member

italian
    Ciao Rrose.:) "made with processed dates" sarebbe sbagliato?( Può confondersi con "processed datA", ma insomma...).

9. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    What is the context exactly? On the outside of a package of biscuits? Made with dates only means that there were dates used somewhere in the process, not that there are actual pieces of dates. Made with processed dates sounds like a warning, or at least that you are letting the public know that fresh dates were not used in this product, which is probably not something you want to put on the outside of a package. :)

10. longplay Senior Member

italian
    Capito. Grazie.

11. Odysseus54

Odysseus54 Mod huc mod illuc

In the hills of Marche
    Italian - Marche
    Maybe "Cookies made with date extracts and filled with date cream"

Down here we'd probably say " Date bars " , but that's too simple and concise for the Italian mind :D

12. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    'date extracts' sounds good to me. Presumably this isn't the name of the biscuits, rather some extra words of explanation underneath the name of the biscuit? In that case, Odysseus's suggestion is good.

If, as Rose points out, processed dates sounds like a warning, do there have to be any words like this on the front of the packet? You could just have the name of the biscuits e.g. 'Date Delights' and then the ingredients on the back.

13. LaMarta New Member

ITALIANO
    Hi! Thank you everybody for your prompt and kind suggestions! I think I will go for "date extracts"!
    Anyway is something that I have to put in the technical sheet and not in the front of the packet!
    Thank you again!

14. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I agree with rrose: date products is the first thing I thought of (....dairy products), although I'd never come across it, so I decided to check it out and found this.;):)