1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Desarrollar un argumento, argumentar, un argumentación

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Killerboi, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Killerboi Senior Member

English
    Hey all,

last post of the evening :) The following sentence is puzzling me on the grounds that it is not clear to me whether it is referring to story plots or arguments made within a story. It is one of many bullet points about writing a good story but with the use of "argumento", "argumentar" and "argumentación" I am unsure if it can be referring to a plot or storyline or argument or something else that I'm missing :-/

Original
    "Desarrollar un argumento no es igual a argumentar. Las argumentaciones dan respuestas; los buenos argumentos cuentan iterrogando."

My Translation
    "Developing a plot/argument is not the same as plotting/arguing. The plots/arguments provide answers; the good plots/arguments provoke questions."

Could anyone give any advice?

2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    This is tricky, the first one (plot) implies a story, the second(argument) not (if I'm not wrong)

I don't know if this could help or puzzle you much more...

http://lema.rae.es/drae/?val=argumento

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. Killerboi Senior Member

English
    Its from an article about story-writing, it discusses plot development before this point and i would assume it reffers to this but it doesn't seem to work... but arguments in a story doesn't seem to fit either :-/

It is awkward

Unless the first sentence refers to plots and "argumentaciones" is used to distinguish 'arguments' for the second sentence as opposed to the "argumentos" in the first for 'plots'??

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    How about, "Developing a plot is not the same as reasoning. Reasoning provides answers."

5. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Let my try to help you:

"Desarrollar un argumento no es igual a argumentar. Las argumentaciones dan respuestas; los buenos argumentos cuentan iterrogando."

Developing a plot is not the same as explaining. Reasoning give us/provide us answers; Good arguments provoke questions.

I have checked WR dictionary and according to this argumento means "reasoning", meaning as well "argument".

6. Killerboi Senior Member

English
    I am thinking of one of the two versions below...

Original

My Translation
    "Developing a plot is not the same as reasoning. Reasoning provides answers; good plots provoke questions"or
    "Developing a plot is not the same as explaining. Explaining provides answers; good plots provoke questions"

Any further suggestions or agreements???