1. AnotherStephen Senior Member

Northern England, English

I know people say that you shouldn't try to translate idiomatic expressions, but could I put that to one side for a moment?

The expression is since later if I do translate it literally. How does that mean in Spanish, "Of course?"
  2. saturnian New Member

Saturn - English
    I know what you mean, and not being a native Spanish speaker I can't really explain it, but if you think about it, "Of course" is also quite an idiomatic expression that wouldn't make sense if you translated it literally into Spanish.
  3. Grekh

Grekh Senior Member

Chambéry, France
    Spanish, Mexico
    Of course is the same than "Desde luego", "Por supuesto" and "De acuerdo"
  4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Or "since then"

How does it mean "of course"? by common usage and agreement among speakers.

If you want to look at it under a microscope, how does "of course" mean "of course"? " ´Of´meaning "belonging to", "part of", "from", etc., and ´course´meaning "class in school", "trajectory that a river follows", etc ...

"De vez en cuando" means "from time to time", but if you look at the words in isolation, it translates "from time in when" ... and THAT makes no sense, in English.

Fundamentally, no word really means anything in isolation, almost all words derive their meaning from the totality of language (and silence, as an alternative to speech...) in which they occur, and that includes, the other possible word choices one could have made instead of the word one did choose. It´s a very dynamic, active model. "Language does not capture reality" and every language approaches the communication of reality in a different way.
  5. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Desde luego = Por supuesto = Claro, como no! = of course
  6. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    I agree that "desde luego" was puzzling to me also, since I first learned "por supuesto" for "of course". But as others have mentioned what is the literal meaning of "of" and "course" that the combination should mean: "as might be expected".
    Also looking at the meaning of "desde" and "luego" we see that they have several uses: According to WR.com

desde also means: from as well as since
    luego, in addition to later means: then, next, afterwards, and therefore.

So just using these words we have 10 combinations: :)
    from then, from next, from afterwards, from therefore, from later
    since then, since next, since afterwards, since therefore, since later

and also I see that desde luego , according to WR.com, doesn't just mean "of course" but also "well, really":
  7. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    Is "desde luego" only used as an exclamation? Or can it be used in the middle of a sentence?

For example, does the following desde luego sound ok or should I use "por supuesto"?

Sería una entrevista de 20 minutos o menos y desde luego puedo darte las preguntas por adelantado
  8. bellotojuanfra

bellotojuanfra Senior Member

9. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    ¡Gracias, Bellotojuanfra!
  10. laluz33 Member

USA, English
    A translation of "desde luego" to English in a more formal setting could be "hereafter" (if you're talking about something in the present) or "thereafter" (if you're talking about something in the future).
  11. Wannabee LA Member

English - US
    Could it also mean "actually" or "accordingly", too?

I am not certain, but I think I heard it used that way.
  12. budomushin

budomushin New Member

Beijing, China
    English - Barbados (Caribbean)
    I could bring it from a different angle....

it's like saying....From ever since....

like for example.....if you asked me 'can you ride a bike?'....i could say 'From ever since i could remember i was riding' or something like that. Which gives the feeling of 'of course'
  13. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    But luego. also means:
    (Del lat. vulg. loco, abl. de locus).
    5. conj. ilat. Por consiguiente, por lo tanto. Pienso, luego existo. ¿Luego era fundado mi temor?
    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
  14. eltiocon2cohoneahi New Member

El triciclo es, como Pic-Nic, una de las primeras obras de Fernando Arrabal y, desde luego, la primera de las pubicadas en castellano hasta la edición que aquí presentamos.

Here, I think, it stands for ciertamente or indudablemente
  15. carolglover4 New Member

The way I will try to remember it is to apply the existential logic: desde =from; luego=later; =something is confirmed as having happened, i.e. it is now in the future, and it has happened as a matter of course.