Desemantización - Lingüística

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Oxia, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Oxia Junior Member

España Español
    Hola a todos,

Estoy traduciendo un texto de lingüística española y me encuentro con un término que no sé traducir: desemantización o desemantizado. ¿Alguien podría ayudarme a encontrar una traducción?

Contexto:
    El fragmento que estoy traduciendo habla de las pasivas formadas con ser. En este caso ser sería un verbo auxiliar plenamente desemantizado, que actúa como elemento morfológico.

Saludos.

2. Thel

Thel Senior Member

Inside my head, mostly
    Catalonia, Catalan & Spanish
    Hi there!

The term you're looking for is "grammaticalization". See this extract from Wikipedia:

"In linguistics, grammaticalization (also known as grammatization, grammaticization) is a process by which words representing objects and actions (i.e. nouns and verbs) transform through sound change and language migration to become grammatical markers (affixes, prepositions, etc.)."

Hope it helped! :)

3. Oxia Junior Member

España Español
    Hi, thanks for your help, but I'm not sure that is the term I'm looking for.

"Desemantización" is more like the loss of meaning of a word. I know the word semantics exists, but I don't know how to make it negative, or if the is a word in English for that meaning (lack of meaning/ loss of meaning).

Thanks again! :)

4. Thel

Thel Senior Member

Inside my head, mostly
    I still stand by my answer. :) Note that if you grammatize a word, it loses its original meaning and turns into a marker -I remember doing that in Uni and it was definitely "grammaticalization". I think the issue with the Spanish and English words is a matter of semantics :): in English, Grammaticalization implies the process from original meaning to semantic marker, ie, the word becomes grammatical, whereas in Spanish this is described with a negative (desemantización) to mark the loss of original meaning.

Cheers!

5. Oxia Junior Member

España Español
    Now I see what you meant (blush). And yes, the problem was the formal difference between the words.
    Thank you so much! :)

6. Oxia Junior Member

España Español
    By the way, do you know how to say "clase semántica" in English too?
    :)

7. Thel

Thel Senior Member

Inside my head, mostly
    You're very welcome, glad to be of help! These names can be tricky sometimes, especially when they look so different.

"Clase semántica" is "semantic class" (no weird translation in this case ;)). There's a short Wikipedia article, where you can also check "semantic property" and "semantic feature", which I suspect you're going to need eventually... :) Good luck with your translation!

Oh, BTW, you're supposed to open a new thread for each new question, so that the search feature works properly and others can find the translation too. If you have any more questions, please open a new thread :)