Desiderare vs. Volere

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Makke51, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Makke51 New Member

USA English
    In Italian, are Volere and Desiderare interchangeable? My "learn Italian" cd says they both mean "to want" or "to wish". Is one or the other more appropriate in any particular context?
  2. martinibianco New Member

well,.. "desiderare" is similar to "i wish" and "volere" to "i want".
    the first is conditioning to something.. and the second more strenght

(i hate my poor english)
  3. Makke51 New Member

USA English
    So basically, they are interchangeable? If I want to order something at a restaurant, it would be okay to say either

desidero ordinare adesso or voglio ordinare adesso

and both are correct?

By the way, I wish my Italian were as good as your English. I'm going to Italy for 2 weeks in May and trying to learn just a little Italian -- but I'm sure the Italians I come into contact with will know English much better than I know Italian, and will probalby prefer to use English, just because it will be faster. For me to understand, they'll have to speak slowly and give me time to translate word for word in my brain. And I'm sure I'll come out with some pretty convoluted sentences. I just hope I don't sound too foolish -- or accidentally say something that will offend anyone.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
  4. DiFossa Senior Member

United States of America English|Italian Dialect
    Your English is fine... don't worry! :)

While living in Italy, I didn't hear desidero ordinare adesso used freuqently... I think you would be better off using volgio etc. or vorrei-the condition form of I want. In most cases, it's sufficient to say, Prendo qualcosa... If you would like to be polite, you can add per favore. That being said, Prendo la pasta carbonara, per favore I'll take the past carbonara please, would work well! I would also think of desiderare as the English verb to desire, which can carry the connotation of wanting to do something or simply wanting something. I desire a piece of chocholate. I want a piece of chocolate. There's more weight in the first statement because to desire is a more powerful verb. Hope that helps... please, as always, wait the amazing Italians to wake up to confirm...
  5. dsalvato

dsalvato Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Yes, DiFossa is right!
    You will rather say "Vorrei ordinare una pizza" or simply "Vorrei una pizza". "Voglio una pizza" sounds like a command and "Desidero una pizza" is not appropriate. I think the verb "desiderare" is mainly used to talk about feelings. :)
  6. shamblesuk

shamblesuk Senior Member

England, English
    I was often asked 'cosa desidera' or the more formal 'cosa desiderano' but would not think of saying 'desidero .....' in reply.

Vorrei, prendo, prendiamo etc
  7. dsalvato

dsalvato Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Yes, this is what often happens...
    But if you go to take a beer in a pub, it's very probable that a young barman asks you "cosa prendi?".
  8. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    As dsalvato says: Ti amo e ti desidero!
    Un figlio molto desiderato. = A much longed-for child.
    Realizzare i propri desideri = to see one's dreams come true.
    Voglio che A. riscriva il suo articolo = I want A. to rewrite his article
    Chi troppo vuole, nulla stringe = Grasp all, lose all.(saying)
  9. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    Ciao MB,

Il tuo inglese non è mica male. (Non dimenticare le lettere maiuscole, ma è una piccola cosa.).

Strength is a noun. Strong, stronger, strongest would be the adjective forms.

10. dylanG3893

dylanG3893 Senior Member

United States
    Desiderare vs. Volere.
    Which one is used more? Do they both truely mean 'to want' or does desiderare just mean to desire?
  11. infinite sadness

infinite sadness Senior Member

bilingue siciliano-italiano
    Desiderare is a more polite form.
    We use to say to children: "l'erba voglio non cresce neanche nel giardino del Re"
  12. gabrigabri

gabrigabri Senior Member

Italian, Italy (Torino)

Desiderare=wish, soft!
    Volere=want, it's stronger!