1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Desk Appearance Ticket (NY)

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by rakelita40, Dec 31, 2012.

1. rakelita40 Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi everybody:

I am a Legal Spanish Instructor (New York Criminal law). I am having difficulty in translating"Desk Appearance Ticket (DAT)" into Spanish. A Desk Appearance Ticket (DAT) is a written notice issued by a police officer requiring a defendant to appear in court at a later date to respond to an accusation that you have committed an offense. I think that if I translate this concept literally, it doesn't mean anything closed to what really is. This is my attempt: Notificación de comparecencia en la Corte. What do you think? Suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

2. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    No objection, but it fails to capture the "ticket" portion of the source. How about "aviso de infracción"?

I realize that mine fails to capture "appearance," which we could add, but then it might become too long.

3. rakelita40 Senior Member

Spanish
    I like aviso de infracción a lot!!! What do you think about "Aviso de citación por infracción"? It may be more accurate...

4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I like the way it sounds, but ...

I'm afraid that adding "aviso" to "citación" may be redundant. You know what I mean?

Spanish is not my first language, so I need to bow out and let you and the native speakers opine.

Good thread, though.

5. rakelita40 Senior Member

Spanish
    Thank you very much, but I'll use your option ;)