Desodorante antitranspirante - antisudoral.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by crisstti, Mar 24, 2007.

1. crisstti

crisstti Senior Member

Chile, Spanish

Does anyone know how one would say "Desodorante antitranspirante - antisudoral" in English?.

2. langref New Member

United States - English
    I would say either Deodorant or Antiperspirant.

Hope that helps.
  3. colfax Senior Member

U.S., english
    Antiperspirant is a pretty old word, in my opinion. Deoderant is used much, much more.

4. crisstti

crisstti Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    The thing is, there are deodorants that are "antitraspirantes" and others that aren't. If I say "antitranspirant" would that be clear...?.
  5. langref New Member

United States - English
    I have never heard antitranspirant used in the context of deodorant; in English "to transpire" signifies the evaporation of water from plant leaves whereas "to perspire" means to sweat. I would use anti-perspirant.

I would also agree with colfax in that deodorant is the more common term.
  6. catrina

catrina Senior Member

Spanish, Mexico
    en términos de formulación y de beneficios, son dos productos diferentes. ¿es esto un factor en tu traducción? ya que estoy de acuerdo que el genérico es deodorant.
  7. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    I agree with Colfax and langref: Deodorant/Antiperspirant
  8. crisstti

crisstti Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    Yeas, exactly. It is definitely a factor. You know, it is said that the deodorants that actually stop the swet from going out can cause health problems.
  9. hcnd06a Senior Member

English - USA
    You're right, chrisstti, there is a difference between antiperspirants and deodorants in English as well. Anti-perspirants block the sweat (prevent wetness) and deodorants just help you smell better. (Another way to tell them apart is that all anti-perspirants contain an aluminum-based compound as the active ingredient.) As the others mentioned, in common usage deodorant has come to describe both deodorant and antiperspirant. It sounds better to say "Pass me my deodorant" than to say "Pass me my anti-perspirant" when describing the physical object. However, if you are talking about the function of the product or for some other reason want to be specific and you mean antiperspirant, you should say antiperspirant, because there is a difference.
  10. hcnd06a Senior Member

English - USA
    If you want to clarify and describe a product that combines both in one, you can say "anti-perspirant deodorant," though it's assumed that most deodorants are antiperspirants and most antiperspirants are deodorants.