1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. gillsfan36 Senior Member

English
    My grammar book states that después de que should be followed by the subjunctive for as yet unfulfilled events, and by the indicative for fulfilled events. As such, I'm confused why when translating this sentence "An operation on his lungs was what ended his career after he had played three matches for Charlton" into Spanish would need the subjunctive: "Una operación en sus pulmones fue lo que acabó con su carrera después de que hubiera jugado tres partidos con el Charlton" (this is the answer key).

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks!

2. logan_1974 Junior Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    That´s not a natural way to say that in Spanish. I´d have said any of these:

1. después de jugar tres partidos...
    2. después de haber jugado tres partidos...
    3. después de que jugara...

I think that´s not a good example. I´m sorry, but no other come to my mind right now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. dexterciyo

dexterciyo Senior Member

Londres
    Español - Canarias
  4. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I hope native Spanish speakers will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that your options 1 and 2 are not strictly correct (though understandable) because the main subject of the sentence is "Una operación de pulmón/en sus pulmones". If we use an infinitive (simple or perfect), we should assume that the operation had played three matches for Charlton, which, obviously, makes no sense.

@Gillsfan: In Spain it is common to use the subjunctive after después de que, even for past events which have defiitely ocurred. I don't think this is true of (all of?) South America.

5. logan_1974 Junior Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    In the example given, and my proposals, the subject of the second part of the phrase is "he" (the player), althought not explicitly mentioned in any of them.

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Exactly. The subject of the first part of the sentence/main clause is the "operation" and the subject of the second part/subordinate clause is "he" (= the player). That is precisely why I believe that it is not strictly correct to use an infinitive. Nevertheless, I agree that the meaning is implicit and that's why I said it would be understood.
    I hope to be corrected if I'm mistaken.

7. logan_1974 Junior Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    Well, I don´t study grammar since around 20 years ago, but I can tell you that my proposals 1 and 2 are the preferred options (at least in Spain), and that both are widely used in all kind of texts (not just informal spoken language).

Of course I could be mistaken, but it´d really surprise me.

8. Julvenzor

Julvenzor Senior Member

Sevilla
    Español propio (Andalucía, España)

Hi Inib,

You may be right. However, I would have written naturally the second one. :thumbsup:

9. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Right. Thank you, both of you. I'm sure that what gillsfan wants is natural speech, so he'd better take no notice of my comments.

10. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Sorry, 2) is missing "de" (después de haber jugado...)
    On the other end, 'después de que hubiera jugado' is totally acceptable.

11. _SantiWR_ Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    I think "después de que había jugado" would be the purest answer (grammatically speaking), but nobody would use that, at least not around here. Después de que is usually followed by subjunctive in Spain, although in normal conversation most people would prefer the infinitive. So, "después de haber jugado tres partidos" is indeed the better option for me. That said, personally I would have written "tras haber jugado tres partidos".

12. logan_1974 Junior Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    You´re right, I´m very sorry for that mistake. I can´t believe I didn´t notice it before. I have just put it right.