1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Destacan más que por rechazar a los afroamericanos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Pet Korun, May 8, 2013.

1. Pet Korun

Pet Korun Junior Member

English - Ireland
    I know that aversive racists are more about preferring their own group than disliking the other group, so I know that is what this sentence must be saying, but it seems to me like it is saying the opposite! If it was the first time I´d read about it I would think that they dislike African Americans more than they like white people.

Los racistas aversivos postulan que no tienen prejuicios hacia los afroamericanos. Sin embargo, cuando tienen que interaccionar con miembros de este grupo sienten una gran incomodidad. Destacan más que por rechazar a los afroamericanos (discriminación exogrupal) por tratar de favorecer a los blancos (favoritismo endogrupal).

The source of a text is an anonymous university professor in a survey about racism given to me to fill out by UNED, it´s aimed at psychology students. The survey is open to everyone and not private. There is no more context I can give you, it is the first sentence and the following sentence goes on to talk about other types of racism.

It seems to me like some kind of inversion that instead of putting "they like white people more than black people" you are saying "more than black people, they like white people"

But this "más que por" makes no sense to me, can someone explain it or give other examples, tell me how to do it if I want to make a similar inversion?

Thank you.

2. Julvenzor

Julvenzor Senior Member

Sevilla
    Español propio (Andalucía, España)
    It makes no sense to me too. I would say:

Destacan más por rechazar a los afroamericanos (discriminación exogrupal) que por tratar de favorecer a los blancos (favoritismo endogrupal).

Cheers!

3. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I agree with Julvenzor, the "que" seems to be out of place.
    Are you sure of this? I don't know the phrase, but "aversive" means "avoiding", which suggests "disliking" to me.

4. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    It makes sense to me. You could traslate "más que" as "rather than". Also, some commas would help:

Destacan, más que por ..., por ...

5. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Thank you, jmartins, for bringing in those commas. They make all the difference.

6. Pet Korun

Pet Korun Junior Member

English - Ireland
    Thank you Jmartins, the commas make sense. Such an important thing to forget!

Now I am annoyed because I rated the explanation understandable in the survey, assuming the fault was with me for being an illiterate foreigner and not with the learned professor.

Yes of course I am sure hee hee, they are called aversive racists because they don't want to be racist and they hate racism yet they are racist. I am probably not the best person to explain it to you, why don't you google it?