destined/alloted for something

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wolfbm1, May 29, 2013.

1. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hello.

"Thanks to new ways of dressing (or currying), highest-quality hides are ............... for fancy leather goods and clothes."

I want to say that some hides are set apart for making of different goods or set apart for different purpose, destiny or allocation. Similarly, beef or poultry meat can be set apart for manufacture of dfferent meat products.
    Could I also use the past participles 'destined' or 'alloted'. :confused:
    It is also possible to use the past participle 'used', but it is too general.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I often use "intended" in cases like this.

3. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, Keith. :)

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Destined tends to indicate that "it was always done in this way" - the cause is explained by "fate"; it was inevitable.

Allotted/ Allocated tends to indicate that someone has made the decision to use something for a particular purpose.

5. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, Paul. What about this statement:
    <<Benoît Hamon, the French consumer affairs minister, said the inquiry showed that Spanghero was the first "agent" in the food chain to stamp the label beef on horsemeat. The investigation suggested the firm "knew that meat destined for ready meals was horse".>>
    Source: An article in the Guardian. "French firm accused of being first to label horse as beef", by
    Ian Traynor in Brussels, Luke Harding, Angelique Chrisafis in Paris and Paul Radu in Bucharest.

Does the phrase 'destined for' tell us that it is inevitable for some horse meat to end up as ready meals?
    Wouldn't 'alloted', 'allocated' or 'intended' be better?

I also found an interesting text related to the fate of hides:

"He’s very particular about the whole tanned hides he chooses, closely examining each for imperfections. Satisfied, he splits the selected hide down the center to form the left and right sides of the saddle. The rest of the hide is destined for use as the seat jockey, rigging, and neck. Because it’s the most pliable, the hide from the belly is used for the swell and horn." Source: Master saddler by David Wolfe.

I think I can also use the expression 'destined for use as' in my sentence in post #1.

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Ah! This is a different meaning of "destined" = "has, as its destination," i.e. its final place. Ultimately both meanings are connected through the words destiny and destination.

7. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you. I got it. Destination or final place is what I meant.