Deutsche [In slang English]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nakatakangaroo, Mar 3, 2009.

1. nakatakangaroo Member

Hi Friends,
    Could you tell me what "Deutsche" means in slang English?
    Can I make a sentence like this?
    For example:
    If I want to praise somebody whom work hard, Can I say" you're Deutsche"?
    Does it mean" you work hard same as German"

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    It's not a usage with which I'm familiar. (AE)

Where did you encounter this?
  3. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    'Deutsche' has no slang meaning in AE. It definitely does not suggest any comparison with a German.
    Perhaps it means something in BE. Let's wait for their response.
  4. stupalaver New Member

English - Australia
    Means nothing in Australia. Be interested to hear where you came across this.
  5. picci511 Member

New Jersey
    English - American
    There is a slang word, which has a slightly different spelling but a completely different meaning.

It might be inappropriate to say.. and I don't want to offend anybody. :)
  6. stupalaver New Member

English - Australia

I think I know where you're coming from picci511.
    I think someone might be having a lend of you, nakatakangaroo.
  7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    We discuss language here, picci. If you have a contribution to make to the discussion, say it. If you think it could be offensive use the :warning: sign. But to say "there is something you might mean, but I won't tell you what it is" isn't all that helpful. :rolleyes:

8. picci511 Member

New Jersey
    English - American

Sorry. I'm somewhat new to the forums and I'm not completely familiar with all the terms, rules, regulations, etc...

The word I was referring to was: "Douche". To those who might not know, it's a feminine product. The slang term is: :warn:"Douche Bag" ...but one could also just say "Douche". It could carry a variety of meanings in different contexts, but some things it could mean are: a jerk, an idiot, a mean or rude person, or somebody who is worthless.

It's not a term I would use with a stranger. But amongst friends I wouldn't hold back on calling one of them a :warn:"douche bag", if for example they played a prank on me or something.

I don't know if that term would offend anybody, but if I wouldn't say it in front of my grandmother, I consider it somewhat offensive. :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    There is also the term "going Dutch" which means, when a couple is on a date, the man and the woman each pay for their own meal, movie ticket, etcetera...
  10. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Thanks for the suggestions, but the original question is
    Neither :warning: "douche bag" nor "going Dutch" are terms of praise for working hard.

Nakatakangaroo, it would be helpful if you told us where you heard the phrase and gave us the complete sentence. This is the kind of context and background that we ask for with all questions.
  11. nakatakangaroo Member

Thanks for your help!
    Sorry, I haven't got a complete sentence!
    The meaning of " Deutsche" in slang English is what our oral english teacher told me!
    I feel a little bit confused and incredulous!
    So I asked for your advise!

12. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jimmy, you might want to ask your oral English (capital E ;)) where he or she heard that. I've never heard that, and it seems that others have not either. :confused:
  13. desertman New Member

American English
    Deutsche means nothing in slang English.