developped / developed ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bene2010, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Bene2010 New Member

French
    Hello,

I cannot find if "develop", at the past form, has double P or not.
    It is : developped or developed ?
    Thanks

2. Natalisha Senior Member

Russian
    It's "developed".

Welcome to the forums, Bene! :)

3. Bene2010 New Member

French
    thanks!
    (But it's strange, developped is also used a lot on the web)

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    It's "developed". I've never seen "developped" anywhere other than the web.

5. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
  6. Bene2010 New Member

French
    That's why the web is not so good for not english sepaker !
    Thanks

7. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Love the Google fight thing!
    Presumably people get confused because a double consonant usually produces a short vowel sound, like 'loped' vs. 'lopped' or 'hoped' vs 'hopped', whereas with 'developed' the vowel sound is short despite having only one p. (NB: I don't pronounce the vowels identically in 'developed' and 'lopped', but I still imagine this is why people frequently make this mistake.)

8. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Note that, although the US and UK spellings of words are sometimes different, "developed" is correct in all versions of English

9. Bene2010 New Member

French
    It can be a reason.
    That's right that in italian, the vowel before a double consonant is shorter than before only one.

10. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    The reason we don't double the "p" is that the stress is on the "e", not the "o":

Stop - stopped

Develop - developed.

:)

11. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    In English it has more to do with stress. The -p is doubled in some words in BrE: worshipped and kidnapped (and catnapped), because the final syllable has a secondary stress*. (In AmE these all have single -p-.) But the final syllable is unstressed in developed, galloped, and others, so it's never doubled (in proper printed books, that is).

* Hm, not sure about worship. It might be better to say it's just a historical accident: it used to have a secondary stress there, at least.

12. Bene2010 New Member

French
    The reason we don't double the "p" is that the stress is on the "e", not the "o":

Stop - stopped

Develop - developed.

Thanks, I understand !

13. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    It is always "developed"

If you do a Google search for "conjugate english" you will find websites such as these http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=2ee2b439b550ea98

Important: You must decide whether you want UK or American spelling and choose accordingly. It doesn't matter which you choose as long as you try to be consistent.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  14. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Good point. But, while I'm obviously just speculating, I still think the double consonant thing might still be the reason why people make this mistake fairly often. :)

15. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    The Web is actually great for non-English-speakers, but as Gernot Back showed, you cannot find the answer by doing a single Google search. You have compare (at least) two different results and then decide.

But for spelling questions, the old-fashioned approach is still the best approach: look in the dictionary. :) And nowadays, many dictionaries are available free on-line, and for most purposes they are much easier to use than paper dictionaries. Try this one, for example, and click on "Word forms". Another reason why the Web is so good.

How do you know that?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  16. Bene2010 New Member

French
    But for spelling questions, the old-fashioned approach is still the best approach: look in the dictionary. :) And nowadays, many dictionaries are available free on-line, and for most purposes they are much easier to use than paper dictionaries. Try this one, for example, and click on "Word forms". Another reason why the Web is so good.

Of course ! I haven't thought to look at the verb declination.
    Thanks for all

17. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    You mean conjugation.

18. Millidesign New Member

French
    the confusion comes from the french,
    Development is written "Developpement" with 2 p in french.

:)

19. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Exactly, this is the first reason that came to mind.
    In general, as others have said, we double the consonant when the verb is a monosyllable (getting) or has the stress on the last syllable (forgetting), but not when the stress comes earlier (targeting, targeted).
    There are exceptions in BE, where the "l" is always doubled (levelled, modelling). This is done also with "worship" (worshipping, worshipper). This could be another reason for thinking there are two p's in "development".