Devolver un libro a la biblioteca

Tema en 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' comenzado por Iney, 29 de Noviembre de 2011.

1. Iney Junior Member

How canI say "regresar un libro a la biblioteca"? First I check a book out of the library and then ..."I get back a book to the library" I hope somebody can help me, please!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
  2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The usual verbs are "to return" or "to bring / take back."
  3. Iney Junior Member

So, I can say "I take back a book to the library".
  4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Usually we'd say "I take a book back..."
  5. Iney Junior Member

Thanks a lot Chris K... Have a nice day
  6. Sylphadora

Sylphadora Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    I have a doubt about 'take/bring a book back.' Is that what you'd say to the librarian when you hand them the book?

I mean, when I hear 'take/bring a book back' I understand that I'm not in the library and I have to go over there with the book, but if you're actually in the library and handing the book to the librarian, you wouldn't have to 'take' or 'bring' the book there, because it would already be there at the library, you'd just have to return it.

So what would you say to a librarian when handing your book? Are these options OK?:

-I'd like to give this book back
    -I'd like to return this book

Does that sound OK?
  7. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In that situation, I don't normally tell the librarian what I would like to do with the book, because that is obvious from the scenario, particularly where the librarian is working below a sign saying "Returns" or something like that. I would just say, "(Good) Morning/etc" and hand the book over.
  8. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    If you're talking to the librarian, you might say, "I'd like to return this book." or "Where can I return this book?" or "Where is the book return (a desk/box where you leave your returned books)?"

"Take back" emphasizes the return trip (carrying the book back to the library) rather than the action of checking the book back into the library. "I'm taking the book back to the library (in order to return it)."
  9. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Yes, once you're inside the library, 'return' is your best option. If you're at home, you can use either 'take back' or 'return'.

Comparte esta página