1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

DIA del trabajador

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by RMG, Apr 24, 2006.

1. RMG Junior Member

SPANISH
    Hola a todos,

Alguien me podria decir si '' worker'S Day'' es una buena traducción EN Inglés, para la fiesta del Proximo lunes 1 de Mayo, por el DIA DEL TRABAJADOR?.

Gracias de antemano por vuestra Ayuda.

Saludos,

RMG

2. pedro_a

pedro_a Senior Member

Netherlands - Rotterdam
    English England
    "Labour day" (Eng.) or "Labor day" (U.S.)

Peter

3. xymox Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    English, French - Canada
    Labor (Labour) Day is not the same. Labor day is the first Monday of September in North America (Canada and US at least).
    Sería la "fiesta del trabajo".

May 1st in Europe is literally a day dedicated to workers, (working class).

International Workers' Day sounds ok and is suggested by Wikipedia. Have a look at the difference between the two if you wish, quite interesting and long history.

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I agree with jgagnon. International Workers' Day is the best option.

5. pedro_a

pedro_a Senior Member

Netherlands - Rotterdam
    English England
    You live and learn! The situation is clearly much more complicated than I realised. Nevertheless, and notwithstanding the undoubted wisdom of the erudite contibutors to Wikipaedia, I doubt whether "International Workers Day" would mean much to most people. I'm pretty sure that in the U.K. it is called "Labour Day", even though it may be strictly speaking a misnomer and it is also known simply as "May day" (though the latter refers to a much more ancient custom). The official public holiday in England is called by the Government "the early May bank holiday" - but that of course is just to make sure that the holiday is still taken even if 1 May falls in a weekend. England has no holiday in September.

Peter

6. El Guero Junior Member

Wyoming
    USA - English
    the last monday in may is memorial day

7. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Likewise, calling May 1st Labor (Labour) Day would only be confusing in the U.S. since everyone assumes that Labor Day is in September. I think the best option is to call May 1st International Workers' Day and accompany that with an explanation of what it is (without getting into the IWW, etc.).

8. FmhR Junior Member

Germany
    Spanish - MEX
    I support "Labour Day" as the correct name of the holiday in Spanish is "Día del Trabajo".

The holiday may fall on a different day/month but the name is the same.

9. beardouk Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English, from England
    In England, at least, May 1 is generally called "May Day", as it was a festival long before being associated with workers. Wikipedia currently has its main article under the title May Day.

Labor Day is not quite the same thing.

10. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    In the US, May 1 is also called May Day. It is not a holiday, more's the pity. I would support the translation as "International Workers' Day."

When I was in grade school one year, our teacher (who may have been a pagan ;>) ... had us celebrate the day in part with what I suppose we were given to understand as pagan customs. We made May Baskets (that is, we decorated baskets, to fill with flowers, to take to our mums), and made a Maypole. A Maypole is a tall pole with different colored streamers attached at the top. Each child would take a streamer, and circle the pole in the same direction as the other children, until the Maypole was completely covered top to bottom with brightly colored streamers. Once the Maypole was done, supposedly one danced pagan dances around the Maypole. (I don't recall learning any dances, but this is understood as Anglo Saxon folk history ...), and maybe a day when elves, fairies, and other wee folk are out and about, spreading glee