Dianiforme

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by gcmadrid, Aug 5, 2013.

1. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
    Buenas tardes

Estoy trabajando con la traducción de un artículo médico y he encontrado la frase "lesiones dianiformes". Si hay alguien ahí quién me puede decir como se dice "dianiforme" en inglés, o por lo menos la definición de este tipo de lesión/pápula en la piel en español para que pueda describirla bien en inglés, lo agradecería.

Muchas gracias!

2. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
  4. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    You're very welcome :)
    Bic.

5. LVRBC Senior Member

English-US, standard and medical
    In the area of the US where I am located (California) we say target lesions, not targetoid. I have never seen targetoid in the medical literature either, though I'm sure it may have been used sometime.

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, lesions like those in Stevens-Johnson syndrome are usually "target lesions."

7. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
    Hi LVRBC - Many thanks for your response. Once I'd got through the initial problem of the correct translation of "dianiformes" - a word I'd never come across in my many medical translations regarding allergy, I was able to double check etc., on the internet with "targetoid" and it would seem to be a correct medical term for these kinds of skin erruptions. Since I translate to "Brit" english, it sounds more "englishy" too :). Here's a link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410609

Thanks once again for your help and taking the time to reply. Have a lovely day/evening.

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

site:nih.gov "target lesions" "erythema" 450 results
    site:nih.gov "targetoid lesions" "erythema" 158 results

9. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
    Thanks K-in-sc ! :)

10. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    That’s interesting, LVRBC…In my own experience the terms ‘target lesion’ and ‘targetoid lesion’ are used interchangeably in the dermatology/dermatopathology literature today…nationally and internationally. In a few cases, one or the other is appended to a specific disease entity (e.g. targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma), and you’ll see references to so-called ‘classic’ or ‘true’ target lesions (or simply ‘targets’) in descriptions of EM (erythema multiforme), but in most situations it really seems to be entirely subjective, even random, which one is being used. I have a preference for the descriptive adjective ‘targetoid’ (or target-like), especially when dealing with lesions that are not entirely ‘EM classic’ but have the overall shape/appearance/form of a target. I also believe ‘targetoid’ is the best translation of lesiones dianiformes from a linguistic standpoint; the Greek suffix –oid means ‘resembling’, ‘looking like’, (a derivative of eîdos meaning ‘form’ ref: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-oid?s=t). It follows that targetoid means ‘having the form of a target’or ‘resembling/looking like a target’. The term lesiones dianiformes essentially means ‘lesions having the form of a bull’s eye’ or “being bull’s eye- like”, i.e targetoid lesions.

Bic.

11. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
    Thank you Bicontinental for a clear, concise and informative explanation. Wonderful!

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

It depends on how formal you want to be. If you're going for clarity rather than formality, "'target' lesion" is perfectly clear and less pretentious-sounding. Maybe that's why it's so much more common.

13. gcmadrid

gcmadrid Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English
    Hiya K-in-sc

I'm actually translating an article regarding adverse drug reactions in children which is for publication in a high impact medical journal, so in this case "targetoid" is my choice. However, I'd like to thank everybody for their interesting and very helpful input.