diasporate

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by hopefultoo, Jun 26, 2013.

1. hopefultoo Senior Member

English - UK
    Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)

diasporate

Your definition or explanation:

To enter a crowded public place such as a bar or restaurant, only to find it deserted within minutes of your entrance.
    Example: (An example of the term in use)

"That's odd," said Fred, whose hazmattire was a bold fashion statement. "The place looks diasporated - it was full a minute ago!"
    One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.) http://www.verbotomy.com/verbottle.php?jargonism_id=5143

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __:tick:__ No ___

I think the word unsuitable since I would assume it was a combination of diaspora and desperate.

I would use it thus: With the high levels of unemployment in Spain there has come into being a Spanish diasporate across Europe as the Spanish flee to find work.

I hope this conforms to the rules - I'm a new user of this forum.

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Ermmmm ... it appears to me, Hopeful, that this is a term invented just for the fun of it by someone who likes inventing words just for the fun of it ... rather like hazmattire, in fact;)

3. hopefultoo Senior Member

English - UK
    Thank you for your comment. Yes, I think you must be right. I wonder, though, might that not be the origin of most new words. We all take a delight in our own languages. Webster in the US invented dozens of words for the hell of it, many of which entered the language. Probably Shakespeare invented words for the same reason. I'd say it is a perfectly legitimate practice. Hazmattire is a fun way of referring to someone in a hazmat suit. Burlesque-oni is a great way to refer to a certain Italian politician.

4. guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

English - Southern England Home Counties
    diasporate means that some places are becoming full of exiles/refugees who still search to eventually return home.
    It already has that meaning not the one you have given it:

:cross:To enter a crowded public place such as a bar or restaurant, only to find it deserted within minutes of your entrance:cross:

:tick:With the high levels of unemployment in Spain there has come into being a Spanish diasporate/diaspora across Europe as the Spanish flee to find work.:tick:

However diaspora meaning the people who have left Spain says the same thing.