Diccionario crítico de Dudas Inglés-Español de Medicina by F. A Navarro

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Deborah Jones, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Deborah Jones Junior Member

US, English
    Field and topic:
    Is this a good book to buy (Diccionario Critico de Dudas Ingles-Espanol de Medicina) by F. A. Navarro? I need to translate medical Spanish to English in my job and I am looking for a really good book. Whoever has it, can you recommend it to me?

?Es un buen libro para traduccion de Espanol a Ingles (Diccionario Critico de Dudas Ingles-Espanol de Medicina por F. A. Navarro)? Yo necesito comprar un buen libro el cual es mejor que los otros. Alguien puede recomendar a mi este libro (para palabras/frases medicas)?

Gracias
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Solamente una pregunta:

Is this a good book to buy (Diccionario Critico de Dudas Ingles-Espanol de Medicina) by F. A. Navarro? I need to translate medical Spanish to English in my job and I am looking for a really good book. Whoever has it, can you recommend it to me?

?Es un buen libro para traduccion de Espanol a Ingles (para palabras/frases medicas)--Diccionario Critico de Dudas Ingles-Espanol de Medicina) by F. A. Navarro? Yo necesito comprar un buen libro el cual es mejor que los otros. Alguien puede recomendar a mi este libro?

Gracias

2. Universalia

Universalia Junior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi there!

This is a really useful book, mostly for those "easy" terms that are often mistaken or translated literally. It's even fun to read because of all the related information and diferent contexts provided.
    I honestly recommend it.

Mind you, it will be helpful if you will be translating from English into Spanish only. All the explanations are in Spanish too. I use it together with the Stedman Medicine dictionary.

Take care,

3. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Deborah.
    You can also buy the Diccionario Mosby de Medicina, Enfermería y Ciencias de la Salud 5th or 6th edition (I have them both and they're good medical references). Each is in Spanish but has two useful dictionaries at the end: an EN>SP version and a SP>EN version.

Furthermore, there Stedman has a bilingual (SP-EN) medical dictionary you might want to check out.

Here is a PDF file with a few medical dictionary names (not for the faint-hearted --they are pricy).

Saludos,
    LN

4. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Hi, Deborah!
    I'm a medical interpreter for a major hospital in Dallas, and our department also uses Stedman's and Mosby's bilingual dictionaries, as well as Navarro's second edition. A word of advice, though. Even though these dictionaries are reliable enough, we've found that Stedman's has a tendency to give you mostly medical jargon, so the general public might not be enlightened by its translations! And Mosby's entries are sometimes too anglicized (croup = crúp?). And Navarro's explanations are largely biased towards a more European public (although he sometimes goes to great lengths to let you know if the Latin American public prefers other terms).
    They are all great reference books, but none of them are the definitive translation.
    Good luck!
    Dan F

5. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Deborah, what's your job. I ask because your actual needs will vary depending on what that job is.

6. Deborah Jones Junior Member

US, English
    good question Bruce.

I do volunteer medical interpreting in clinics (in the process of seeking certification).

Also, I work as a writer/editor for a company that writes medical educational documents and we are in the process of translating some of our documents from English to Spanish. I am helping to QA them. Actually my first note was wrong--I will be translating from Spanish back to English--although I will have the original English documents available so actually it is English to Spanish to English again is what I am doing if that makes sense.

NOTE: Universalia's thread above suggested that Navarro's book was only in Spanish. I thought it was a Spanish-English dictionary????? The title itself says Diccionario Critico de Dudas Ingles-Espanol de Medicina. I guess maybe she means the extended explanations are all in Spanish??????????

Also, is it, indeed, for primarily Espana??????? That would be pretty useless to me since most of our clients are S. American or Mexican.

Thanks a lot to all who respond

7. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Miss Jones,
    I commend you for doing medical interpreting on a voluntary basis. It is a very difficult but rewarding job. The Navarro dictionary has entries in English with their meanings in Spanish, but not the other way around. This are words that sometimes, in spite of their simplicity, actually stump many a translator because they are either polisemic, or the Spanish equivalent has a Greek rather than Latin etymology, or because the common usage of the Spanish term has nothing to do with the English one. It's a very good book if you are a Spanish-speaking translator. But it really has a big tendency to be rather purist in the sense that Navarro wishes everyone to speak like people from Spain. Nothing wrong with that, but it adds another level of difficulty to your personal choice of synonyms. Wow! Sorry for the rant. Just one last thing: Here at work the hospital tried to check the accuracy and fidelity of our translations by having us translate IRB's from English to Spanish and then sending our translations to an outside firm to get them translated back into English. Wouldn't you know it? Of course the documents hardly matched, because of the differences in personal preferences of the individual translators. Also, it's a well-known truism that when you translate from English to Spanish you need about one-third as many words again to convey the same ideas. And viceversa.
    So, good-luck!
    Dan "logorrheic" F

8. Deborah Jones Junior Member

US, English
    so, it looks to me that--if I am on a budget and can only buy one book for now-- it should be Mosby's?

I already have one book (which I think is not a good book): "Medical Spanish made Incredibly Easy" -- published by Springhouse Corporation - ISBN - 1-58255-040-9 - I had to buy it years ago for a class I took at the hospital where I work.

The book is split up into specialties with all the phrases and words that relate to each specialty.

I think its tranlation is too formal, too rigid -- Only giving one translation for each term. Also, it is clealy for beginner/immediate Spanish speakers, which is kind of ridiculous because you really have to be pretty advanced to be a good translator.

SO, Is Mosby's better than this? It sounds like it--but I have never seen it. ALSO IT IS IMPORTANT THAT IT ADDRESS THE MEXICAN AND SOUTH AMERICAN AUDIENCE and not Spain....

Please advise.
    Thanks

9. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Deborah.
    Mosby's is a good, solid medical dictionary... filled with words having to do with anatomy, illnesses, treatment, etc. It is a "technical" dictionary in the sense that it does not provide whole sentences with 'samples' on how you might use any given word.

Seems to me that you are looking not so much for a dictionary but rather for a medical phrasebook with terminology usage? Then you might want to begin by looking at this Google search... and then researching the titles.
    I don't know the particulars of your voluntary interpreter job at the hospital (if you mainly provide assistance when interns are taking a patient's history or if you accompany neurosurgeons on their rounds so they can communicate with Spanish speaking patients --two very different sample scenarios with very different needs)... so I suggest you visit your local branch of a national bookstore chain (B. or B&N or W.) and check out their Medical section.

While in CA I purchased a small but useful dictionary which also includes a "dialogues" section. In the preface, Dr. Rogers states that "another unique feature of this dictionary is its focus on Spanish spoken in the United States".

English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary, Second Edition
    Glenn T. Rogers, MD
    ISBN:0-07-053680-5

Hope that helps....

Saludos,
    LN

10. Deborah Jones Junior Member

US, English
    thanks for your help lauranazario.

Actually I go back into examining rooms and interpret for doctors of various specialties. (clientele mostly from Mexico or S. America).

Also, I have been working professionally as a part-time translator of medical documents for two years (mostly Spanish to English - fortunately - since English is my native language).

Right now, I am looking for a better book to use in this capacity (written translations at my job), so I think I am going to check out Mosby's for now.

Thanks. I hope I can help others in this forum as much as they help me.

11. 140278

140278 Senior Member

Peruviano espánish