1. graz71 Senior Member

Paris ~ France
    ~ Le bon Françoy de France ~
    Hello

Any idea how to translate that word?
    "“You know,” he said to me with a look angrier than I have ever seen on him, “you can be a total dickwad!”"

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
  3. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Français
    vous vous comportez parfois comme un cuistre fieffé. (Well, maybe just a tad old-fashioned. :D)

4. graz71 Senior Member

Paris ~ France
    Thanks. One question though, I undestand "dick" but what about "wad" unless it's a whole word?

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Maybe definition 4 here?

Just guessing, you understand... :rolleyes:

6. graz71 Senior Member

Paris ~ France
    Thanks again for enlightening me. After seing what the word mean, I don't think the French word convey the right color of the image.

7. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    une tête de noeud

8. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    Hello all,

Well SwissPete, you've just taught me a definition of the word 'wad' that I was quite unaware of! I'm not actually sure whether that is literally what 'dickwad' is supposed to mean, but it's just used as a general term of insult - you don't necessarily need to find something with similar connotations in French (a bit like if you call somebody a wanker or a tosser, you aren't actually accusing that person of masturbating). I would think any of SwissPete's suggestions in the second post in this thread would do:

Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing if this thread develops any further. It's always fun to learn new French swear words ;)

9. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

The English term is pretty recent and used mostly by younger people (30 or under I would say), so maybe this wouldn't be such a good equivalent in French.

Besides the others mentioned, trouduc comes to mind--it's about as vulgar as dickwad.

10. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Français
    I thought it was obvious that it wasn't a serious suggestion. ;)
    Yes, trouduc would fit the bill very well (no pun intended).

11. Soleil_Couchant Junior Member

English
    I would venture to say that it is indeed what dickwad means if we were to break it down to literal meaning. However, I agree with you that people use it just to say you're a a jerk and the French doesn't have to have the literal translation...just whatever a vulgar form of 'jerk' would be.