1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

did not expect you to do vs that you would

Discussion in 'English Only' started by youngbuts, Jan 21, 2013.

1. youngbuts Senior Member

korean
    Hi.

I have got a question about the tense. I have made a situation related to the questioned tense.
    My friend has just returned from his vacation and now is coming in my office with a present. (He is in front of me rihgt now.) I have to say some words.
    Probalbly I could say :

I did not expect you to give me a present.

But, I would like to make a joke like the below.

1. I did not expect you would give me a present.
    2. I expected you to give me a present. (If you didn't, I were going not to see you again.)
    3. I expected you would give me a present.

I'm guessing #1 is not fittable in this situation. (To be honest, I'm not sure. But to me It could seem to sound too rude or sarcastic.) But As for #2 and #3, I have no idea. Are they possible? (If so, which is better?) If they all are not good, would you give good alternative jokes appropraite in the situation?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    In all honesty I would strongly advise not trying to make jokes in this context unless it is someone you are very very friendly with. :eek:

If you are sure it will be safe, then my opinions are:

e.g. 1 is not really funny, it is more like being polite.
    e.g. 2 with the threat to not see him again if he didn't get you a present is probably he one to use, because it is most obviously not true, but it needs totally re-phrasing to get the tone and the conditionals worked out better
    e.g. It's a good job you got me this, I was going to ignore you if you came back empty-handed ...
    e.g. 3 just sounds plain rude.

3. youngbuts Senior Member

korean
    Thank you. I will follow your advice.:)