Did you see the Facebook?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by GeogeHalin, Oct 5, 2013.

1. GeogeHalin Senior Member

Hello members.

Our sister school, St Mary's School, just created a Facebook page, which gives information about the scholarship programs at their school. The title of the page is: St. Mary's School Scholarship

And I want to know if my friend has visited the Facebook page, can I ask "Did you see the St Mary's School Scholarship Facebook?"

Would you say that? It sounds terrible to me.
    Should I add a 's to the sentence? Like "St. Mary's School's Facebook"?
    And should I say Facebook page, rather than just "Facebook"??

How do I improve it? What's wrong with my sentence?
    Thanks so much!
  2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I would say: Have you seen the new Facebook page?

The nuns may balk. I know some, so keep vigilant, GeogeHalin.
  3. GeogeHalin Senior Member

So, adding the 's does not make things better, I guess. And the "page" is needed, right?
  4. Ania R. Senior Member

Poznań, Poland
    Polish (Poland)
    I think it is, because after all it's what youre talking about - the school's page. It just happens to be on Facebook, but it's still "a page" and not "a facebook".
  5. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I think I misunderstood the question. After rereading, I think I'd say: Have you seen St. Mary's new Facebook page?

I would probably leave out "school" in this case altogether, so that solves the problem about trying to make "school" possessive, if that makes sense. :)
  6. kyrintethron Senior Member

English - America
    Ugh, this is a mess, because colloquially, people all the time refer to their "Facebook", as if they own the whole site. But what they really mean is their "Facebook page" which actually refers to their "Facebook Timeline" (which used to be their "Facebook wall"...*sigh*). Nevertheless, you definitely need to add the possessive "'s" to St. Mary's School (St. Mary's School's) for this to be proper. And I would say "Facebook page" is better than "Facebook", though the unwashed masses seem to disagree, lol.

7. numberlessusername New Member

kyrintethron beat me to it. At least among my college-aged #yolo-ing peers, 'facebook' can implicitly carry whichever noun context calls for.
  8. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    All very interesting! I am not on Facebook, so maybe I should have stopped while I was behind. :(

As far as religious schools go, I do know a little about that.

Typically in speech, the "school" part just gets dropped from the name, so that was the point I was trying to make.

For example, even if the name is technically St. Patrick's School, in speech, I'm a familiar with this: He's on St. Patrick's basketball team.

And not: He's on St. Patrick's School's basketball team

That's my experience, for what it's worth.
  9. kyrintethron Senior Member

English - America
    I will append that this is typically the case for all schools. For instance, my high school was called Schenley High Schol Teacher Center, but we would still say "Schenley's basketball team". Hell, we would simply say to other kids, "I go to Schenley". Same thing for colleges and other educational institutions. Actually, most organizations are shortened when possible. You wouldn't say, "I play on Google Inc.'s softball team". You'd just say, "I play on Google's softball team." The Coca-Cola Company is shortened to Coke ("I work for Coke" vs "I work for The Coca-Cola Company"), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation is shortened to FBI or the Feds.

Not necessarily central to the topic, but good to know...in case you didn't. :)