Did you use to live here?'

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Arai, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Arai Senior Member

Spain - Spanish

I was wondering what the answer to this question is:

Did you use to live here?

Yes, I did???????
    Yes, I used to??????

Thanks in advance.
  2. abb1025

abb1025 Senior Member

English USA
    They are both correct.
  3. Arai Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
  4. PeppermintPattie Junior Member

English - USA
    Honestly, the question is a bit awkward. While it makes sense, I would have asked, "Did you live here?" or "Have you ever lived here?". Your responses are fine but not grammatically impressive, either. To respond, I would likely say, "Yes, I used to live here" or be more specific and say, "Yes, I lived here while I was in college."
  5. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    I can't see anything wrong with "Did you use to live here?"

As for the answers, "Yes, I used to" is a bit repetitive and redundant, so best to stick to "Yes, I did".
  6. Piragüero Senior Member

American English
    I agree with JennyTW.
  7. Arai Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Thank you all for your answers ;)
  8. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    So do I.
  9. gengo

gengo Senior Member

If the context were formal, what you say would be true, but the original question is perfectly common and correct in colloquial speech.

I'm afraid I disagree completely on this one. The original responses both sound natural and are correct. I, for one, would not​ be likely to use the responses you have given.
  10. 797102030aaa

797102030aaa Senior Member

except in conversation it would be: yeah, I used to
  11. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    USA (Northeast Coast)-Inglés

Did you used to live here?
  12. gengo

gengo Senior Member

There are numerous threads in which this topic is argued, but I am on the side which says that the above is incorrect, because it is a redundant past tense (did + used). The basic construction of a past-tense question in English is {did + subject + verb in simple present tense}. By the same reasoning, it would be incorrect to say "Did you lived here?"

However, both sides have good arguments, so I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.