die, der & das: rules of thumb when to use article

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by hamad, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamad New Member

I am a new self leaner of German

and have no idea on how or when to use die, der and das.

Thank you
  2. ToriAldred Member

Leeds, England
    'der' means 'the' in English.

However, in German, they have different genders being:

der = masculine e.g. der Hund
    die = feminine e.g. die Katze
    das = neuter e.g. das Pferd

Also, there are four different cases which you need to learn, as 'der', 'die', 'das' changes after certain prepositions! (It's really complicated and takes a long time to learn!)
  3. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

There are no rules when to use which article. You have to learn them together with the noun.
  4. Lennybird New Member

North-North American English

I'm self-teaching myself German as well. I'm pursuing it my own rough, inefficient, and out-of-order way, but I'm getting there; and you will too.

Here are some resources that have helped me out:

To address the die, der, das, den, dem, etc., - pronouns, read up on this article: http: //everything2.com/title/German%2520pronouns - it helped me out a lot.

About.com has an intuitive free lesson course that I've found only recently:

http: //german.about.com//library/anfang/blanfang_inhalt.htm

Finally, to put your grammar and vocabulary to the test, you can do these lessons for the German language that are in German. A very useful site once you catch on to some basic vocabulary - and a great way (for me) to build upon it.

www. passwort-deutsch.de

Hopefully I read the rules correctly and am allowed to post these links. I apologize if I'm not.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. Wroclaw

Wroclaw Senior Member

upper midwest
    American English
    There are many helpful rules for applying gender (der, die, das) to German nouns, though they are not fool-proof. But the ones that exist are an enormous help! Here are a few pointers to get you started:
    nouns that end in the following are nearly always feminine (die):
    -ung, -ion, -in, -ik, and many that end in -e
    nouns that end in the following are generally always neuter (das):
    -chen, -lein, -um
    There are fewer patterns for masculine nouns, but if you recognize a verb that has been made into a noun ending in -er, it will be masculine (der):
    der Fahrer, der Spieler, der Wähler ...
    many trees are feminine:
    die Eiche (oak), die Esche (ash), die Linde (linden tree), etc.
    The days of the week, the months of the year, and names of cars are masculine:
    der Montag, der Januar, der Porsche
    Many noun genders simply have to be memorized, but it's nice to know there are many that do not.
    Feel free to send me a PM if you want more information. The links Lennybird sent will no doubt be of help!
  6. berndf Moderator

German (Germany)
    Moderator note:

The question is too broad for this forum which cannot replace a grammar book. As the tread has already received several valuable responses we are not deleting it but closing it for to further posting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.