1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Difference between "dedicated for" & "dedicated to"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by GA91, Feb 28, 2011.

1. GA91 Junior Member

España
    Español, España
    Hi!

I would like to know what's the difference between "dedicated for" & "dedicated to".

Could someone explain it to me please?

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Have you seen dedicated for actually in use somewhere? I cannot think of a case where it is used.

Dedicated to is the correct pairing.

3. GA91 Junior Member

España
    Español, España
    I've actually seen it on some forums... but never coming from a native English speaker. I wasn't sure if it was correct or if it just had another meaning.

Thanks suzi! :)

4. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    You're welcome.
    x

5. Wants2Know New Member

English - USA
    I understand that the verb requires the preposition "to": to dedicate something to someone. However, as a parent of a 3-year-old, I can't help but notice that a number of children's books feature the "for" dedication (without the word "dedicated"), such as: "For my niece, Elizabeth."

This makes it sounds as if the book was meant as a gift rather than a dedication. Does the meaning change between the two and when would an author write
    "For my niece, Elizabeth" vs. "To my niece, Elizabeth"?

6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    That's a special case, Wants2Know. "For" is sometimes used in dedications, especially if—as in the cases of children's books "for" a particular child or children—the persons mentioned might well be appropriate readers of the works.

In the usual speech or writing (e.g., "his political efforts are dedicated to achieving tax reductions"), it's always "to".

7. dumbfounded Senior Member

persian
    Which one in this?
    I have dedicated my life for/to the benefit of humankind.

8. beezneez Senior Member

California
    English - USA
    This money is being dedicated for salaries only. Materials must be purchased with other sources of funding.
    I'm dedicating this book to the memory of my late wife.

"Dedicated for" indicates a single purpose.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014