1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

difference between had given me/ gave me

Discussion in 'English Only' started by brian03, Aug 11, 2009.

1. brian03 Junior Member

korean
    I have read the book that you had given me.
    I have read the book that you gave me.

Are these both correct gramtically???

I want to know the differnces between them.

Help me all lovely navtives~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. mplsray Senior Member

[What's the deal with the swung dashes?]

"I have read the book that you gave me." makes sense to me.

"I have read the book that you had given me." does not make sense to me.

If the second half of the sentence was "that you had given me," I would expect the first part of the sentence to be in the past tense: "I read the book that you had given me." "Read" here pronounced like "red."

3. brian03 Junior Member

korean
    yeah

If I read the 'read' with prounounce like RED

so the second sentence will make sense to you???????

4. mplsray Senior Member

Seven question marks is overkill.

"I have read the book that you gave me." makes sense. The word "read" is pronounced the same as "red" there because it is the past participle of the verb "read."

"I read the book that you had given me." makes sense only if "read" is in the past tense (and thus pronounced "red").

"I read the book that you had given me." does not make sense if "read" is pronounced "reed"; that is, the sentence does not make sense if "read" is in the present tense.

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I have read the book that you had given me.

That you had given me takes us back to a moment in the past, after your gift of the book. I have read takes us to the present and says that my reading of the book is now in the past. This is, in my view, why this sentence doesn't work - there is a clash of tenses.

I have read the book that you gave me.

This is fine, as other people have said.

6. curious_me New Member

India - Hindi & English
    well..if in both the sentences.."read" is being pronounced as "red" then??..I guess both would be correct then!..

Do reply!

7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    If you are talking about my last post, in both sentences read is a past participle, pronounced as you suggest, and, as I indicated, the first sentence is impossible to construe and the second is correct.

I feel it's important to restrict question marks to questions and exclamation marks to exclamations.